artist or producer?

Post by minimal house »

Are you an artist or producer?

Discuss.
g
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by g »

unless you strictly work on other people's compositions, it's semantics.
qubism
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by qubism »

im happy that someone asked that question. and id love to heard what u guys think about that.

ive been wondering a bit about that the last days cuz i began more and more to lose my natural feeling for the music i was doing. i began a year ago with no background and it was a fun only thing for me. im mainly into visual art. im doing game art and graphic design stuff so theres a lil bit of estetic(typo?) background.

i learned about the technical sh!t and whatnot and went away from the artistic the moody the empathic relation to the music i was doing.
a few days ago i was thinkin that the best things i have done are allready past and im not makin any better and i was wondering if its worth to keep doin what i do.

i cannot make music by the technical side. and all the skills that u can learn from the production side do not help if youre not artist enough. thats my point of view and u have to keep in touch with that side ! maybe its just a way of thinking

i am happy now cuz i just made a quiet moody and artistic piece that just satisfies me its simplefar away from fancy techniques that u could use

thatmight be not quiet what u wanted to hear.
Last edited by qubism on Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

Aren't they both the same thing these days? at least in our circles?

Regardless, I'd be "both".
qubism
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by qubism »

yea they are quiet tight and close but i wouldnt say its the same.
u cant go with one withouth the other im sure tho! ;)
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

When one writes the music and also takes care of the mixdown, one is both the artist and the producer.
Essaj
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Essaj »

Jesse Somfay wrote:When one writes the music and also takes care of the mixdown, one is both the artist and the producer.
amen
Love is intrumental
j.whitney
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by j.whitney »

yeah, I think we are all mostly both, but there's no reason why producing alone cannot be approached artfully. Take King Tubby, for instance. He never played anything on any of those records, he just tweaked what was already there, but the repercussions of what he was doing still affect whats going on today. If anything he was one of the first to validate what it is that we do.

On the other hand, I am on some Joseph Beuys type sh!t where everything you do should be approahed artfully, so there you go. :D
Enforced limitations are a good thing.