realtime online collaboration methods?

- ask away
augen_de.seim
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

realtime online collaboration methods?

Post by augen_de.seim »

i'm looking to collaborate with someone making production decisions and mixing decisions online. we plan on sharing files via ftp or peer to peer, but i'm looking for a method of delivering a real time stereo mix stream at decent quality (128kbps? or somewhere around there) as well as maybe a voice or chat stream... mac or pc world.

i tried using ichat voice with its highest quality setting and piping the audio from my audio software through soundflower... which worked well but the audio quality is really low. i was thinking of setting up an mp3 radio style stream (shoutcast...).

i'm just wondering if anyone has successfully done anything like this and how you went about doing it.

any suggestions are welcome.
augen_de.seim
colin mcardell
augendeseim@gmail.com
listen to augendeseim
qubism
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by qubism »

fl studio has something called collab that i didnt try out myself tho.
i dunno exactly how it works might be interesting to check out i think.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

i wouldn't transfer files like that...it's not worth it!

why not use wav or aiff and just rar em?
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
j.whitney
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by j.whitney »

You're crazy! You can't do that! Just knock it off! 8)

Would it possible to set up a Java server through the Terminal in OSX and assign Soundflower to stream? Or somehow split the signal so that you cold still hear it on your machine and have it sent out? You might be able to write something in Max/MSP as well that would connect the audio out to a stream. I don't know that much about this end of things, but it seems logical that it could happen. A friend of mine does this successfully with MIDI info, i.e. he sets the same thing up on each end and has an audio app MIDI info go through Max/MSP, which translates the MIDI in to XML packets, which go out throught the Java server and are translated in reverse on the other side and the XML is used to control Flash animations. (www.jalcide.com, if you want to see this in action, it's kind of insane and still in development) But i don't know about the bandwidth limitation you would encounter with actual audio information, not to mention sans a convienent, standardized format like xml to work with. And then just use a chat program to verbally communicate???

I think you might have to write your own app to get it to do what you want, tho....
Enforced limitations are a good thing.
augen_de.seim
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by augen_de.seim »

plaster wrote:i wouldn't transfer files like that...it's not worth it!

why not use wav or aiff and just rar em?
we plan on transfering the files in wav or aiff as well as session files and rar'in them. we just need a method of realtime streaming audio info for the arrangement and mixing stages.
augen_de.seim
colin mcardell
augendeseim@gmail.com
listen to augendeseim
augen_de.seim
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by augen_de.seim »

j.whitney wrote:You're crazy! You can't do that! Just knock it off! 8)

Would it possible to set up a Java server through the Terminal in OSX and assign Soundflower to stream? Or somehow split the signal so that you cold still hear it on your machine and have it sent out? You might be able to write something in Max/MSP as well that would connect the audio out to a stream. I don't know that much about this end of things, but it seems logical that it could happen. A friend of mine does this successfully with MIDI info, i.e. he sets the same thing up on each end and has an audio app MIDI info go through Max/MSP, which translates the MIDI in to XML packets, which go out throught the Java server and are translated in reverse on the other side and the XML is used to control Flash animations. (www.jalcide.com, if you want to see this in action, it's kind of insane and still in development) But i don't know about the bandwidth limitation you would encounter with actual audio information, not to mention sans a convienent, standardized format like xml to work with. And then just use a chat program to verbally communicate???

I think you might have to write your own app to get it to do what you want, tho....
interesting... that might be worth a shot. midi info is a lot less bandwidth intensive than audio obviously :P.
augen_de.seim
colin mcardell
augendeseim@gmail.com
listen to augendeseim
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

I think the simplest and best way is to share files and rather than try and actually make decisions by hearing things in real time, use descriptions and refer to specific moments with time (mins, secs)... the hassle isn't worth it and you will find that the simple time reference will work better
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

just like adam said!

i'm working with one friend and we do it so...one starts with a 2 bar loop and bounce it to another,then someone makes the initial arrangement untill bar 80...bounce it back,chat about what could we improove and stuff like that.
it's not hard working unless the two of you click the right way.

good luck

Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.