Maximizing the volume in Reason 2.5?

- ask away
mimusic
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Maximizing the volume in Reason 2.5?

Post by mimusic »

Since some time I've been using Reason 2.5 and I really like it, but there is still one thing that annoys me and I can not solve:

When I have made a song in Reason and put the volume such that it is really at it's maximum and does not peak, then I mixdown the song to a wav and open it up in a wave editer (like goldwave), then I see that the amplitude is quite low, and also the volume is quite low!!!

If I compair for instance with some tracks of Ricardo Villalobos they sound MUCH louder, and the amplitude of the pectrum is much bigger.

So the problem is basically that even when Reason has a miximal volume in the mixer, the mixeddown wav is still too silent.

Hopeing for some tips...

-mimusic

PS: I have tried the filters, equalizers, and some of the effects to boost the sound, but then Reason still clips...
jpls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jpls »

I have had similar issues. This is part of why I switched to a different program for the majority of my work. It seems the audio processing engine
in reason has some flaws.
Militikie
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Militikie »

Same problem, but with all the platforms

i think you should normalize the track in your wave editor, i did some things like that and that worked well
i guess it is not a flaw in reason, although the sound from reason always has some characteristic sound. It is one of the tricks of mastering the song. Try to compress and eq in T-racks or in a wave editor.....but hey, i ain`t no pro.
j.whitney
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by j.whitney »

It is very difficult to get Reason sounding good all by itself. There are some things you can do with the vocoders set to EQ with compressors on the master outs, but it's basically just easier to Rewire it into something else. This also gives you more options with available plugs, not to mention maybe a decent EQ. I like working in Reason very much, but it's kind of like you have to sequence in Reason and then mix in something else cause Reason's sound just can't hack it. We'll see how ver.3 pans out; I guess it sounds a lot better. But $130US for a mastering suite? Who masters in Reason anyways?
mattenglund
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mattenglund »

Welcome to the board Jesse!
I am sure lots of people on here appreciate the input!

peace

M
You're staring at a piece of furniture!
People on TV are not your friends. They're not in the room with you. You are alone in the dark, staring at a plastic box.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

you could solve that problem with rewiring reason with other apps such as nuendo or cubase...it's helps me though!
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
mimusic
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mimusic »

you could solve that problem with rewiring reason with other apps such as nuendo or cubase...it's helps me though!
But when you rewire to cubase what efx do you apply? just eq, compressor, limiter,...? Some tips?
Last night I tried some efx in AcidPro, which at least made some difference, but still the volume is almost clipping, but the amplitudes in the wave editor are still low after mixdown :cry: :cry: :?
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

nono,the trick is in the multiband compression,which is commonly used on radio stations.
once you apply it to the master out it will boost the freq spectrum to it's full which will result in richer and clearer sound,but don't think that you solved the matering problem with that!
plus,one common thing with multiband compression is the heavy bass,it usually pumps the kickdrum and the bassline very much,so it muddy's the mix,but you can solve that with eq or gating.

the multiband compressor is locatedl in nuendo like this: dynamics / multiband compressor / FM Radio preset

i think it's the same with cubase?!
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.