Maximizing the volume in Reason 2.5?

- ask away
Militikie
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Militikie »

in the sx version i use, there isn`t a multi-band compressor original, but hey what is...multi band compression does do the trick for a large part. Good eqing on all the tracks can keep the muddyness away.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

Militikie wrote:in the sx version i use, there isn`t a multi-band compressor original, but hey what is...multi band compression does do the trick for a large part. Good eqing on all the tracks can keep the muddyness away.

yep...i didn't say it will save you from eqing,you have to do it with or without it.
it's just a good trick for solving a low level master volume and to give a little richness to the sound.
....leander told me there is an multiband compressor in sx? :?
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

Militikie wrote:Same problem, but with all the platforms

i think you should normalize the track in your wave editor, i did some things like that and that worked well
i guess it is not a flaw in reason, although the sound from reason always has some characteristic sound. It is one of the tricks of mastering the song. Try to compress and eq in T-racks or in a wave editor.....but hey, i ain`t no pro.

The golden rule: You can do anything with anything.

I've heard alot of people talk about Reason having it's own "sound" and/or being "wimpy" and things like that. The fact of the matter is that a combination of professional knowledge of audio, compression and a bit of glorified "playing around" and experimenting, you can definately come up with something that will fight with the best of 'em using even reason on it's own.

The number one thing, over anything else: Understanding compression and applying it properly, along with understanding of mastering, etc. You should be able to get things near perfect using the tools provided by reason, and then perfect with a waveform editor by making subtle adjustments.

Next: don't use the "factory soundbank". Some of the included drum sounds have interesting properties to them that bring about interesting results when abused (like all audio), but I'd strongly encourage not using a thing from reasons sound bank for your basic drum work, etc. Always have a good collection of very high quality, professionally recorded single-drum samples from drum machines or whatever else you use... use these to augment and strengthen all the rest of the sounds you would be using. I personally love lo-fi and weird noisey samples and things, but you usually need at least just a strong bd or something to kind of help things along.

Also, I'm not claiming to achieved some kind of "superproducer" status, but ever since I bought headphones (sony v700's), my finished products seem to be 30% better and I usually get at least near-perfect mastering on my first bounce to wav/aiff.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

how can music sound 30% better when you make it on headphones?

the freq rane is tottaly different... :?
Militikie
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Militikie »

my music got 50% better since i`ve got my fostex pm-2 active speakers :lol:
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

plaster wrote:how can music sound 30% better when you make it on headphones?

the freq rane is tottaly different... :?
I said my mastering improved and that my levels are better. I should have clarified, but I didn't have a great set up before, and now I can hear what I'm doing better.

If you have good headphones, you'll get your tracks sounding better and alot more accurate to what you want/need than you would with anything short of having a nice quiet studio with top of the line monitors. Headphones are nice because they are versatile, and if you are like me and like to produce in a variety of environments, they are essential.

As far as the frequency range goes, I haven't compared mine to to many monitors and things, but hands down, it's been alot easier to get great sounding tracks since I've been using them predominately. The only disadvantage I could for see is not being able to feel some of the REAL low frequencies like you might experience on a big system (the gentle caress of frequencies under 4 / 5 hz), but most monitors won't afford you much more with this anyway.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

i usually use headphones for adding reverb,nothing more...because it turned to be a flaw in production.
j.whitney
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by j.whitney »

I have got to agree with adam, good headphones are indispensable, as are a variety of speakers to listen to your final mix. Like, if you can make it sound fresh on a boom box, then it's probably going to sound fresh on most anything (just watch out for too much bass on that one).

A good way to fake a mulit-band compressor in Reason: Take three vocoders set to EQ with a compressor attached to each one coming off of your main mixer. Set the EQ ranges respectively to a rough High-Mid-Low on each with moderate compression settings and just tweak it till it sounds good. The result is subtle, but it's kind of like the icing on the cake in a way and it gives you a close apporximation to an actual muilti-band because you have some control over your EQ ranges. I find that putting a Scream unit on the end of the main out set to the Tape algorithm with compression and volume at half can also give you a little more warmth, volume, and 'oomph'.

However, in the end, Reason still seems like it's kind of a pain in the ass and a lot of work to accomplish what you want to hear for a mastered piece. Check out the T-racks plugs (http://www.t-racks.com/) and download the demo. You should be able to run it in SX as a VST or AU.