Audio editors for OS X

- ask away
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Audio editors for OS X

Post by adam »

Hello -
I'm a recent Mac "convert" (last couple years). i used to use Cool Edit 2000 for all my wav editing, slicing of samples and all that kind of work. It was great because it was really condusive to creative experiments in that it allowed you to seemlessly open any file type (including mp3's and what have you) and export to anything, just like opening and saving, no extra steps. (later became Adobe Audition I believe, which I started using at the end of my pc usage)

I have had a VERY hard time finding something like this for the Mac OS. I've tried the demo of Quattro DSP and I love the application and it's features, and it's quite smooth, however it is REALLY annoying how it actually makes you save seperate files before you begin your editing and sample work (if I want to just rip a sound from an mp3 of mine or something, I have to save the mp3 as a wav first rather than just open it)

I've been using Audacity (sourceforge.net project I think), and it works the best so far, although it's very buggy and doesn't respond the best. It also seems to take ownership over my soundcard so that I cannot run something like ableton or reason at the same time.. this is a big damper on the creative process for me.

Can someone make any reccomendations?
g
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by g »

pricey, but try Peak
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

g wrote:pricey, but try Peak
Unfortunately I tried Peak as well. It presented some of the same problems as Quattro DSP, not to mention the fact that it wasn't capable of opening most standard MP3's for whatever reason...
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Audio editors for OS X

Post by brianc »

One of the things I miss most when I'm working with my Mac is Wavelab, my personal favorite.
mattenglund
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mattenglund »

You could use "sound studio"in the mac OS. Seems pretty easy....I use Peak myself, but I have used this at times and seems pretty easy interface and runs smooth.
This is it......

http://www.felttip.com/products/soundstudio/

M
You're staring at a piece of furniture!
People on TV are not your friends. They're not in the room with you. You are alone in the dark, staring at a plastic box.
Caley Martin
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Caley Martin »

there is another sound editor for os x called SparkXL
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

Caley Martin wrote:there is another sound editor for os x called SparkXL
It seems to be discontinued... anywhere that I can try it or get it?
Caley Martin
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Caley Martin »

my friend sent me a copy a while back... let me see if I have it still. it's a relatively small file too.