deep and solid kickdrum

- ask away
ashish
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ashish »

i use battery3 most of the time i will have 2 kicks layered, on the second kick i use a high pass filter and on the main kick i might use a low pass, then i sit there for ages flicking through my kick library until i get a good kick out of the 2 layering. I also zoom right into the kicks and move the start point around a little looking for them nice clicks, then ill mess with the adsr's, compression, distorion, lofi pitch ect.
I have to say going through this process i do manage to come out with some bad ass kicks
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

The Jomox site claims that Villalobos uses their 999. That wouldnt surprise me as it would cover most of the ground that his kicks cover as well as support his theorizing that recorded sound from actual hardware and acoustic instruments, even sourcing natural reverbs are what can make a record timeless.

As to getting a solid, deep kick... I never understand why folk have so much trouble with this.

Use any drum machine: mbase, Machinedrum, 999, 888, 808, 909, even a 606 if you know what yer doing, or any of the emulation plugins Nepheton whathave you and:

If you have a decay setting, open her up a bit so you can hear the tone. Tune the kick favorably with yer bassline. Now tweak the attack/Ramp whatever to make her punchy. Now trim back the decay to create a bit of space.

OK, so here is the secret sauce: Turn down your other tracks in relation to the kick and turn up your monitors. Voila, large, massive, long-duck-dong kinda kick and plenty o' headroom for the mastering engineer.

Not a damn processor (eq/comp/gate/whatever) needed.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

victorjohn wrote:The Jomox site claims that Villalobos uses their 999. That wouldnt surprise me as it would cover most of the ground that his kicks cover as well as support his theorizing that recorded sound from actual hardware and acoustic instruments, even sourcing natural reverbs are what can make a record timeless.

As to getting a solid, deep kick... I never understand why folk have so much trouble with this.

Use any drum machine: mbase, Machinedrum, 999, 888, 808, 909, even a 606 if you know what yer doing, or any of the emulation plugins Nepheton whathave you and:

If you have a decay setting, open her up a bit so you can hear the tone. Tune the kick favorably with yer bassline. Now tweak the attack/Ramp whatever to make her punchy. Now trim back the decay to create a bit of space.

OK, so here is the secret sauce: Turn down your other tracks in relation to the kick and turn up your monitors. Voila, large, massive, long-duck-dong kinda kick and plenty o' headroom for the mastering engineer.

Not a damn processor (eq/comp/gate/whatever) needed.
+1

Getting heavy kicks is not that complicated today. Any FM synth can do huge ones too. We only use operator to make our kicks. and now the mighty Machinedrum :D
Making it louder than anything else in the track does help to its hugeness. getting the right bassline kick relationship is also very important. let them both breathe....
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Why are people so obsessed with actually making the kickdrum from total scratch? ( I don't mean a tweaked drum machine )

Has anyone actually made a kick that's actually any good though?
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Ok, just had a play with Operator, I can see the appeal, anyone tried the loop mode on a kick? You can get some awesome envelope sh!t happening with the decay.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I quite like to have the kick lower in the mix. I like letting the rest of the sounds make up the track, rather then the kick.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

feeling really geeky today, so i thought i'd give my assesment of the jomox mbase 01 for you hardware guys.
ive had it for a month now, and it was a good investment, but it does have limitations. theoretically you can build a huge range of kicks, but in reality i've built only 3 or 4 that work well. a 909 style, an 808 style and a couple in between.
after comparing the tracks ive made with it to the ones i made with my 909 in the previous month, i have to say that it doesnt sound anything like a 909.
even though at the time i was building the kick i thought it was very very close.
the 909 is simply in a league of its own, its soooo phat.
it really doesnt have any competition if you want that sound.

i do like the pitch control on it though, which the 909 doesnt have, i'm even considering sacrilege, and fitting one to my 909. :shock:
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

Ronny Pries wrote:but if you take your looking glass and go back in the days...
Ronny Pries wrote:it's not like the early electronic dance music studios were uberequipped with gear. all that acid-house stuff etc was made with such little gear, man it's absolutely basic.
:) so now all of a sudden its about "back in the days", "early electronic dance music studios" and "acid house"? and i thought we were talking about 90% of dance music, as you said...

if so there's been a misunderstanding. i agree that if you want to make "acid house" and "early-sounding electronic music" vintage drum machines are your thing. but i live in the present, and i dont like to be blind about what forward thinking producers are doing, nor identifying "all dance music" with old school production techniques.

i am techno, and techno always looks to the future. because if everyone just keeps on using 808's and 909's its all doomed to get extinct. thankfully thats not the case, as shown by a whole new breed of producers giving a completely new level of excitement to a style called minimal. thats my point, and i respect everyone else's.

and for the record - yes i am sick -twisted