New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

provaznik
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by provaznik »

i usually make a loop and stretch it out to about the projected length (this is not absolute, but for this stage it is nice to have an idea where the song MIGHT end time wise) in a sequencer. then i loop it over and over until i get more ideas and begin to make altercations to the original loop. maybe that helped? :oops:
SpacyX
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by SpacyX »

The duration of a track is always undefined till i actually finished the track.
It all just depends, i think if you are telling yourself this is how long it's supposed to be you are creating yourself limitations.

This will rather make your production boring if you haven't got enough ideas to match the time or too many idea's over a short amount of time.

It all just depends !
G3rard
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by G3rard »

I like to first just mess around with sounds on a soft synth or drum machine.

Then once im happy with a looped sound, create a 16/32 bar scene in the arrangement adding all the basic elements I want, then copy and paste it across for about 10 minutes.

I go back in removing parts to make the intro, outro and getting the basic groove.

I then select the track I want to edit and press record then just mess around with knobs adding the automation, then go back in and add all the smaller details.

Bit long winded way of working with loops but its how I like to do it to get a basic track going.
Decepto
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Decepto »

New Guy wrote:try to imagine in your head, how you want your track to progress, switch off ableton and just do it in your head. maybe even new elements will come into your head.
Yup, that's how I do it. After I get a loop running with a good groove, I'll turn off Ableton and get out a piece of paper. I'll visually sketch the progression of the track based on how I want it to hear.
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

i find that sometimes making just a good loop isnt enough....sometimes the loop without all the elements sounds like sh!t nomatter what u do....so maybe try to write a song by measures rather letting a loop dictate where and when your song is gonna start... I have a ton of awesome loops that cant get anywhere ....its a great loop but maybe i didnt consider how it would reach that awesome loop status thing.....and it is......umm......its very tempting to go straight to the awesome loop mode....but maybe u shouldnt.
signatures suck