Loco Dice !

wtf
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by wtf »

It's completely the norm in the big time music business for a "producer" to produce an "artist" and the record to be released under the artist's name.
I know they do that in the big time trance scene too (you probably all know that Martin Buttrich produced some of Timo Mass' records, for example). also, I can also think of a lot of house records from the eighties that I love where some singer was produced by Larry Heard or something and the record was released under the singer's name. Many/all records released by Robert Owens were produced by Frankie Knuckles and Larry Heard amongst others - not to say that Owens didn't do any production (no idea). But one of the things that initially got me into the minimal techno scene was how artful the production was and how the producer was usually credited as the "artist", if at all - all those people who just invented names for projects and ran along in the background making some of the best music in the world. It was just *cooler* than the way the big time record business works. Prince turned down the first record deal he got offered when he was like 16 because they wouldn't let him produce it. In the 70s - and this was a major label deal. That's cool to me.
Loco Dice is one of the first who I'm aware of in this specific sub-sub genre to take a big time music business approach to releasing records rather than looking at records as art pieces. There's nothing
wrong with getting somebody else to make your music for you and sitting around telling them what sounds great and what doesn't. It's just that this scene was always sorta producer-driven for me. It was a scene where the process of music production as an artform seemed to be highly appreciated.
So I don't think there's anything wrong with Dice, but for me he signals a shift in the wrong direction for this music scene. actually, I should mention that I'm not crazy about any Loco Dice records. It's my least favorite Cadenza record, hands down. Yeah, I sorta hate all of his music, so maybe none of what I mentioned really needed to be said, but it's a topic I'm interested in.
Buttrich is clearly a very capable producer, though. It's gotta be tough to make a Timo Mass record. Sounds painful.
spideresistance
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by spideresistance »

wtf wrote:It's completely the norm in the big time music business for a "producer" to produce an "artist" and the record to be released under the artist's name.
I know they do that in the big time trance scene too (you probably all know that Martin Buttrich produced some of Timo Mass' records, for example). also, I can also think of a lot of house records from the eighties that I love where some singer was produced by Larry Heard or something and the record was released under the singer's name. Many/all records released by Robert Owens were produced by Frankie Knuckles and Larry Heard amongst others - not to say that Owens didn't do any production (no idea). But one of the things that initially got me into the minimal techno scene was how artful the production was and how the producer was usually credited as the "artist", if at all - all those people who just invented names for projects and ran along in the background making some of the best music in the world. It was just *cooler* than the way the big time record business works. Prince turned down the first record deal he got offered when he was like 16 because they wouldn't let him produce it. In the 70s - and this was a major label deal. That's cool to me.
Loco Dice is one of the first who I'm aware of in this specific sub-sub genre to take a big time music business approach to releasing records rather than looking at records as art pieces. There's nothing
wrong with getting somebody else to make your music for you and sitting around telling them what sounds great and what doesn't. It's just that this scene was always sorta producer-driven for me. It was a scene where the process of music production as an artform seemed to be highly appreciated.
So I don't think there's anything wrong with Dice, but for me he signals a shift in the wrong direction for this music scene. actually, I should mention that I'm not crazy about any Loco Dice records. It's my least favorite Cadenza record, hands down. Yeah, I sorta hate all of his music, so maybe none of what I mentioned really needed to be said, but it's a topic I'm interested in.
Buttrich is clearly a very capable producer, though. It's gotta be tough to make a Timo Mass record. Sounds painful.

agree with your point of view, nothing wrong if the results are good. but for sure this is not the way it was once our techno scene. except for few big names like Väth or Hell and others, usually in this scene until few years ago was all about SKILLZ. skillz to play records and skillz to produce with studio equipment. and everybody was extremely jelous of his know-how. there was maybe some collaborations but everybody was much more on his own.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

i think hes making the most exciting music, at least all of his tracks are playable after many many years. eg: miniena,jacuzzi,city lights, phat dope...
The martin and loco combo is splendid.
punchi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by punchi »

His DJ shows are great, it's party music for freaks.
Krul
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Krul »

http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=9220

really looking forward to hearing this. :)
twisted sounds
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by twisted sounds »

Aleksi wrote:seeing through shadows, quite loco :)
wow that track is very deep and emotive, for me significate a lot. I used to listen it when I was sad and when I had a bad day. Loco tatoo rulez
Hutch
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Hutch »

Wow, anyone feeling 7 Dunham Place besides me? CD of the year!!??
LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by LouisVee »

Hutch wrote:Wow, anyone feeling 7 Dunham Place besides me? CD of the year!!??
Bought it yesterday, really good!