Marco Carola

dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

there will always be bandwagon jumpers... they are the ones who make trends trendier so us trainspotters can have more gigs... hail to the jumpers

i've been into minimal since its very beginnings... but back then it was called microhouse, clicks'n'cuts, experimental techno... i knew it was minimal, but didn't even think of calling it "minimal"
because so many more styles are of minimal nature, the electro of ectomorph or i-f, the jacking chicago sound, ambient like pete namlook's or biosphere, loop banging techno, bleep techno, dub...

but people need categories to survive... (and by people i mean everyone) especially those who are not so deep into music of any kind

minimal is only a nice adjective describing qualities inherent to various styles of electronic music, it's actually one of the most important (if not the most important) characteristic of techno or house,
unfortunately an innocent word is turned into a magnet for hungry followers sensitive to trends and then 'group dynamics' take over, people want to belong and not lose face... and so they're into minimal, because the others are as well, not knowing the first thing about it

personally i still prefer terms like clicks'n'cuts, bleep techno, chi-house, experimental techno... you end up with more subgenres, but the names are closer to the sound... whatever works for you of course
i've been listening to electronic music for over 15 years... i'm a bandwagon on my own... wanna jump?
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

dsat wrote:i've been into minimal since its very beginnings... but back then it was called microhouse, clicks'n'cuts, experimental techno... i knew it was minimal, but didn't even think of calling it "minimal"
because so many more styles are of minimal nature, the electro of ectomorph or i-f, the jacking chicago sound, ambient like pete namlook's or biosphere, loop banging techno, bleep techno, dub...
hahahahahaha.
Ben
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ben »

2nd that Dsat.

I love Carola his older deeper and monotone stuff, (Question etc) and I would call that certainly minimal music. (And I'm talking about his older stuff)
I always compare him a bit with hawtin back in the 90ties, but I guess Hawtin isn't minimal 2.. :wink:

Dunno guys, nowadays "minimal djs" play those old Carola records still each f*cking time, cfr Hawtin, Magda, Hood, etc...

He had indeed a period when he released more banging stuff, but his older work is GREAT "minimal?" music. :wink:
http://www.polarise.be
-Projecting A New Vision-
infizero
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by infizero »

carola has always put out great techno records .. wether some are minimal or some are more bangin' i've never cared .. you can see the perfect storm in queston #11 .. a little of everything a more cocoonesuqe track on a1 .. seriously this record sounds like it was made for that night another track which is a full on banger and a latin tinged tech houser.

last but not least im totally loving the do.mi.no series .. and you see the same variety's of styles there as well.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

if you call the question series older than what is his onethousand series? :D
that was minimal...imho much better than the question stuff.
techno made me do it
Coog
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Coog »

I use to play that "be with you" ep a while back- it was a white label he did with sasse.
infizero
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by infizero »

deccard wrote:if you call the question series older than what is his onethousand series? :D
that was minimal...imho much better than the question stuff.
hertz remix of the 1002 track is siiiiiiiiiiick
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

Coog wrote:I use to play that "be with you" ep a while back- it was a white label he did with sasse.
Yeah, not so much minimal but a tad housier. Very good jazzy stuff for a early evening or morning set.