Richie Hawtin

Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

okzbow wrote:
He is actually quite right on this... being next to the monitor the sound and vibrations are pickup bij the needle... but then again, I doubt if that gives a warmer and deeper sound.
he is right that the stylus is a form of microphone. Setting up for a party this weekend today, we had a problem that when the needle sat on a stopped record and the gains were maxed out all around, we were getting feedback in the midrange, but there is a certain absence of crowd noise in most all live recordings...
freeeeeee
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

This is a spiritual thing, a body thing, a soul thing, which is lost in digital DJ sets.
I wouldn't actually call this concept bullshit what so ever..

its almost like trying to explain in text positive energy..

it's almost impossible.... but then again..

their are many concepts...I always enjoy

reading many different perspectives.
sonofradiator
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sonofradiator »

I don't pretend to be a DJ, but I'm hooked on the wax. Even though for the last two months I've had a busted needle and thus no means of listening, I've still been buying records, and finally getting my deck fixed this morning and listening to some fresh records, the sound blew me away.

I've never been much of an audiophile, but the warmth and the definition of vinyl after listening only to digital stuff for a couple of months was so blatantly obvious as to make me want to throw my laptop out the window (well, that might be an exaggeration).

But going back to Hawtin, watching him play at Time Warp a couple of weeks ago, I was stood behind him and seeing his interaction with his laptop, and hearing the sound that was resulting, everything felt so cold.

He played for seven hours so obviously I came and went a few times and it never felt like I'd missed something, he always seems to be locked into the same methodical groove. Like you say, he has become very clinical. Going to watch Villalobos come on at ten in the morning was revelatory, so much soul and passion in the music!
S-Max & Spatial
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71085/

facebook.com/schmorgasbord
b-ran
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by b-ran »

TwelveHundred wrote:Well, I know he smokes hella pot. I am not sure what all other extra curricular activities he partakes in...
hehe i knew that ricardo was a massive stonner...when he was here in march he would duck under the decks to take a toke and he would blow it back on the crowd haha. but richie i dunno..hes probably taken so much acid in his life and probably just about everything. i can see him doing massive amounts of coke :shock:
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

this whole drug talk is disgusting!

(am i the only who thinks so?)

:?
b-ran
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by b-ran »

New Guy wrote:this whole drug talk is disgusting!

its just reality
TwelveHundred
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TwelveHundred »

No I agree with you, I think it's bullshit though that most DJ's and producers are automatically walking drug juggernaugts. As percieved by lots...

Excuse the spelling.. :roll:
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

b-ran wrote:

its just reality
you know what else is reality, that people pee and sh!t alot, yet no one is discussing the toilet habbits of these guys.