Jan Jelinek

Zsa Zsa
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Jan Jelinek

Post by Zsa Zsa »

"Central Berlin. Vinyl, wherever you look. With microscopic precision Jan Jelinek scours his never-ending archive for those fleeting moments, those in-between noises and beat fragments that often get lost between hookline and rhythm. With the sampler as his dissection tool he breaks down these micro fragments into intricate elements – production becomes the re-interpretation, re-formatting and blurring of original material.

Jelinek’s love for music is deep-rooted. Barely five years of age the former resident of Darmstadt bought his very first record and became a great fan of dub and Lee Perry. Soon he swapped his bass for the simplest production equipment, discovered the attraction of a healthy dilettantism (forcing him to improvise) and, with house, a musical genre that allows reduction and emotion to co-exist.

Since 1998 Jelinek has taken his work to the public: split into the re-evaluation of phrases in soul music (as Farben), a reduced approach to the dance-floor (Gramm) or, under his third pseudonym which strictly speaking isn’t one (Jan Jelinek), the exploration of his own production concepts, he has so far released six Farben Eps on Frankfurt-based label Klang Elektronik (recently compiled on the album "Textstar”), followed by a Gramm album on Move D’s Source Records and, as Jan Jelinek, with "Loop Finding Jazz Records" (~scape) the shifting of linear second loops, condensing Jazz samples into arrangements with an unrivalled depth of field.

Nowadays surrounded by technology of every kind Jelinek nevertheless still sees it as a simple means to an end – his music cites the sampling source, not the production platform employed. Whether as Gramm, Farben or under his own name: he always blends fresh approaches and sources into a distinctly new, very personal sound...[more]

Discography:
as Jan Jelinek
as Farben

Suz.aa
Tic Tac
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Tic Tac »

Nice topic Zsa, why didn't I think of it.

This man is responsible for more than most mnml lovers realize.

I heard a story about Jan. The story says: It all started one day when he was working his gear. One of his P-filter broke down and generated a plesant noise. He started working the noise and... there it was "The Click"

Can we call him one of the founders?
So much music so little time
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

minimal jazz...yes,he's my hero alongside with twerk.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
Zsa Zsa
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Zsa Zsa »

Tic Tac wrote:Nice topic Zsa, why didn't I think of it.

This man is responsible for more than most mnml lovers realize.

I heard a story about Jan. The story says: It all started one day when he was working his gear. One of his P-filter broke down and generated a plesant noise. He started working the noise and... there it was "The Click"

Can we call him one of the founders?
Most technological breakthroughs are usually discovered by accident.

;)

Suz.aa
JThoma
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JThoma »

To me I can honestly say that Jan Jelinek's stuff is the most amazing inspiring electronic music for my tastes that i've ever come across. True brilliance! I still to this day listen to early farben records just to cheer up! My hero!!!
monokreck
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by monokreck »

yeah baby he should get the Nobel-price for music creation 8)
www.monokreck.com / www.mnmldjs.com
o my god, it's techno music !
nikaj
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nikaj »

the farben stuff is too good to listen to almost.
delayer
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by delayer »

a very good and talented artist, definitely ....