Rod Modell

audiostatic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by audiostatic »

carbon_copy wrote:I'll post the press release asap. I can set up mail order for those interested. :D
i would be very interested carbon_copy as well.... :D 8)
oneironaut
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Deepchord deserves wider recognition and re-issues!

Post by oneironaut »

Rod Modell, out of Detroit, MI, USA, has produced some of the most captivating, intriguing, enjoyable electronic music I have ever heard. Coming from someone who has collected electronic music obsessively for over a decade, this is a strong statement, and I stand by it. Along with Mike Schommer (aka Techniker), Rod started the Deepchord label in the mid-’90s and began releasing 12″s in extremely scarce editions. I began hearing a buzz about Deepchord on some discussion forums around ‘01, and was lucky enough to get my hands on a copy of DC10 on yellow vinyl when it first came out. I had been introduced to the Berlin techno sound of the ’90s by way of the production duo Basic Channel and their many side-projects, plus their record label Chain Reaction which released many landmark 12″s and albums of the decade. A fascinating, mysterious house-oriented sound, usually structured around a 4/4 kicking beat, but often drifting into ambient, abstract and experimental territories. I was captivated by the style, which to me was taking a lot of the experimental and sonically-fascinating elements of genres like IDM, industrial, darkwave and ambient, but blending it with the body-moving techno beat and DEEEEP basslines to keep your head bobbing. When I heard comparisons between Deepchord and Basic Channel’s legendary dub-techno Rhythm & Sound project, I had to hear what the fuss was about. I was totally blown away.

Deepchord’s style takes the Berlin house sound in a direction that is more dreamy, ethereal, warm, dub-reggae-tinged, sometimes almost tropical sounding yet other-worldly. The beats stay minimal and maintain a hypnotic pulse throughout the experience (and listening to these 10+ minute tracks can truly be an experience) while a soft wash of analogue static and warm synthesizer tones rise and fall, punctuated by an occasional, percussive, nearly-infinitely-echoing “deep chord”. Some of the pieces incorporate field recordings and organic audio sounds, as well as live hand percussion like conga drums, which give the pieces a beautiful, timeless, and not-digital sound. Along with Basic Channel, Deepchord has defined and set the standards for the dub-techno sound which, while still a fairly “underground” genre, is still going strong today with many new faces.

In some ways, the Deepchord sound is a beautiful synergy of the minimal house sound combined with lush ambient space music. I understand that a collaboration with Steve Roach was in discussion for a while but never came together. Such a project sounds like a perfect fit and makes a lot of sense as a direction that both house producers and ambient/experimental producers will be exploring further in the future. Some of the new Deepchord presents The Coldest Season material, as well as the Spectral Network series on Octal, have been exploring this territory further.

I recently have been watching auctions on Ebay, and mint-condition copies of DC11 and DC12 both were sold for nearly $150 EACH about two weeks ago! Most out-of-print Deepchord records command at least $40 apiece on Ebay, which shows that there is a huge “cult” demand for these records, even if it is hard for me to understand how people can pay so much for just a few minutes of audio… I guess it is not so hard to understand if you have actually HEARD the records, yes they are THAT good. Luckily, there was a compilation CD made, entitled Vibrasound, which collected many of the ‘99 through ‘04-era tracks, including all of DC10, most (but not ALL) of DC11, and none of DC12, plus a few other gorgeous tracks. My main complaint about Deepchord is that the releases are way too limited and now that they are out of print, “collector’s value” has gone berzerk. There is also a very nice mega-mix CD put together with Kevin Hanton, ala Scion Arrange And Process Basic Channel Tracks, entitled Illuminati Audio Science that is required listening, and maybe not so difficult to track down. I never got to see DC in one of his/their rare live appearances, but I imagine this captures the experience very well.

In the past couple years, Deepchord has gotten active again with a new record label/project called Echospace in collaboration with Stephen Hitchell of Soultek, several new Deepchord records, a new pseudonym called CV313 which harkens back to the DC10/11 era in a beautiful way, and a whole mess of remixes for other artists including Convextion, i, a gorgeous rework of Juan Atkins/Model 500, and several others. Everything is still super-limited edition which puts on the pressure to snap it up when you see it! Even so, it is not easy when the editions are as low as 100 copies for the exclusive CV313 CD from Smallfish, or the Vantage Isle extended edition CD only available at DEMF07 in an edition of 100, or the Octal records which were like editions of 20 or something ridiculous. It is almost mind blowing to think that Octal01 is only owned by a handful of people because it is just a stunning record, all three tracks are great, and it is almost as if they don’t want anyone to be able to hear it or something, it is so obscure and difficult to find.

I hope Rod Modell and Co. will consider making re-issues, or CD versions of their releases. I am sure a lot of people would be overjoyed to finally get their hands on Deepchord in an affordable format. Heck, Modell could probably even make a fast buck for himself if he offered his back-catalogue on the web as mp3 pay-per-downloads! For now, stay on your toes with those new Echospace releases, and don’t blink; you might miss them!

Tim’s favorite Deepchord releases (this week):

DC 10
DC 12
Sacred Geometry
Kettle Point
Electro-Magnetic Dowsing (slowly mixing from the Mike Huckaby remix into Step 1 sounds especially excellent)
Imax - DC Trax
Model 500 - Starlight (Deepchord remix)

Places to buy Deepchord:

Smallfish.co.uk has some Rod Modell CDs as well as the Coldest Season series, and they really need to re-release that CV313 CD!

Boomkat.com had some of the newer releases but are mostly sold out now, worth a look

ForcedExposure.com still has Rod Modell’s two Echocord 12″s in stock, so snap ‘em up quick! UPDATE: They also have the new Styrax V/A 12″ with exclusive Deepchord track. This is the only mailorder place within the USA that has Deepchord!
532nm
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by 532nm »

european tour soon!!!

also i have about 20 sealed 'illuminati audio science' mix cd's for sale...

make me an offer.

KH
audiostatic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by audiostatic »

selector.dub.u
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by selector.dub.u »

audiostatic wrote:not long.......now Deepchord Grandbend Echospace-005:) 8) :wink:

8)
532nm
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by 532nm »

did any one get out to see him play on his european tour? berlin, rotterdamn, london, spain...a few other i cant recall.
/__/\ /__/\ /__/\
| |::\ \ \:\ | |::\
gubenhinden
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by gubenhinden »

any info about the tour? i would love to see him!
fl0w
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fl0w »

I hope the death of Ron Murphy won't alter the sound of Deepchord :-S

R.I.P.
:.: : :: : :.: .:. :.