Robert Hood

snooky
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by snooky »

some of his tracks are a bit to fast and tekkno for me but i LOVE the moveable parts records... brilliant stuff!!
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

I absolutely love the "Underestimated" EP on M-Plant, although noone ever mentions it when talking about Rob Hood. Maybe because it's not his typical sound, but it's the one record of him that got closest to classic Detroit techno. Totally mindblowing and totally, well, understimated.

He's also an excellent DJ, like most of the guys from Detroit. DJing in Detroit seems to be strongly connected to skill, and not like, say in Berlin, just considered as just-playing-the-hottest-records-to-get-the-hottest-chicks-and-getting-completely-spaced-out-afterwards...
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
Zinthek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Zinthek »

I couldn't disagree more Red Kite.
I saw some videos of Hood playing somewhere before seeing him here in Brussels. He played every track in that video here as well.
Technically I found him to be pretty weak. I have some sets here as well that are just plain bad mixing.

Don't get me wrong I still love the man, his track selection definitely makes up for his bad mixing.
But calling him an excellent DJ is a bit much. He's a much better producer.
spideresistance
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by spideresistance »

Red Kite wrote:I absolutely love the "Underestimated" EP on M-Plant, although noone ever mentions it when talking about Rob Hood. Maybe because it's not his typical sound, but it's the one record of him that got closest to classic Detroit techno. Totally mindblowing and totally, well, understimated.
fully agree with you about the understimated ep, wich is one of the first records i bought back in 1999.
another excellent track of him wich is never mentioned is "pace"...
Red Kite wrote: He's also an excellent DJ, like most of the guys from Detroit. DJing in Detroit seems to be strongly connected to skill, and not like, say in Berlin, just considered as just-playing-the-hottest-records-to-get-the-hottest-chicks-and-getting-completely-spaced-out-afterwards...
but here i have to disagree with you about the strong connection to skillz, of all the detroit based djs... i'm not saying they are bad, as zinthek said track selection can sometimes makes up for the average mixing skillz... but i saw for example james pennington and his skillz were weak...

needlees to say that i hate much the playing-the-newest-hottest-records-everytime attitude... but this i think is a consequence of the mp3 era. once when it was all vinyl only, the tracks were played for longer period from all the djs.
elektrodik
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by elektrodik »

spideresistance wrote:needlees to say that i hate much the playing-the-newest-hottest-records-everytime attitude... but this i think is a consequence of the mp3 era. once when it was all vinyl only, the tracks were played for longer period from all the djs.
agree with you, i've some friends that play promos only!!
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

Well I saw Rob Hood playing at Tresor once and it was awesome. I think many Detroit DJs mix a lot faster and more agressive than DJs around here, so the beat-matching doesn't seem to be perfectly flawless, but at the same time there is a lot more energy and movement in the sets.

In the end it all comes to taste, but at least I never got bored to death by a DJ from Detroit, which happens with about 90% of the DJ sets I hear in Berlin.

Well of course not everything is golden in Detroit, I'm not that naive, that's just the basic induction from my experiences so far.
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
Zinthek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Zinthek »

Very well, but could you keep your font size normal next time?
It really doesn't read well this way.
err_eur
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by err_eur »

i dont think any of the old school guys have much tolerance for sloppy BS like that these days. It gets old after, like 20 years....