No
17%

Total votes: 12

bornin86
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Does location matter anymore?

Post by bornin86 »

Have had numerous debates about this with people from different disciplines, would like to know anyones thoughts on this?

Considering we live in a live feed generation, does being in a specific location guarantee success?

I have to say that I see it multiple times of people coming out the woodworks that end up developing into their own opportunities. I used to think it mattered but living in different parts of the world has led me to believe that this day and age, the networking aspect is probably more important than physical location.

Thoughts?
Tape27
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Does location matter anymore?

Post by Tape27 »

yeah man, thats a really difficult question. I think you can't answer it that easy... In Term of music production the physical locations matters when you have a bigger hardware studio. If you produce all your music in your laptop with good earphones the location will not matter that much..
also if you a record digger and want to listen to your vinyl its not possible to travel with your collection... so for me it is not an yes or no question at all. But you are right, the networking is more important than living in a particular city. Another important factor for me is to be surround by people you like, I think this makes a huge difference in your daily life.
SanderMartin
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SanderMartin »

I agree that networking is more important than living in a particular city with a thriving scene. IMO if you combine the two you get a '1+1=3' situation with much more opportunities compared to only living in a particular city. (Unfortunately) i think you need both these days.
WhosThatGirl
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by WhosThatGirl »

If you're making music for success, you're in it for the wrong reasons in my opinion. Focus on making good music...
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

WhosThatGirl wrote:If you're making music for success, you're in it for the wrong reasons in my opinion. Focus on making good music...
:arrow: :idea: :!:

:-flower
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

I think the huge majority of my younger record collection from many magical moments in Detroit and ann arbor record stores growing up as a teenager shopping the import section : no name, white label, used, misc, one color releases, or center pieces with artistic fun design/logos on them, I never knew the "location" of artist, let alone the title of the track. If its funky I'll play it. :P
Dignan3
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Dignan3 »

i've often thought of this with all of us living in the internet age now. i've wondered how it's gonna affect the music its self. for example genre's like Dubstep grew deep in England out of the Garage, Grime, and DnB crowd (to the best of my knowledge) those are all very British genres. im kinda worried that this information age might kill new genres/styles from emerging since now we can all take it out of our sq radius of our city scene. i think music had more time to incubate\grow\develop before the internet age. hopefully im explaining myself good enough :)