Romanian government resigns over nightclub fire

- open
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Prime Minister Victor Ponta has stepped down in the wake of massive protests over last weekend's deadly incident.

The Romanian Prime Minister Victor Ponta and his government have resigned.
The news comes after days of protests over Friday night's deadly nightclub fire, which claimed the lives of 32 people. At their height, the protests in Bucharest were over 20,000 strong, according to the BBC. Citizens spoke out against what they saw as government corruption surrounding the granting of permits and safety inspections, and demanded that politicians take responsibility and resign.

In a statement, Ponta also revealed the dissolution of his government, saying "I'm handing in my mandate, I'm resigning, and implicitly my government too," according to The Guardian. He'll stay in power until the new government is formed.

"I hope handing in my and my government’s mandate will satisfy the demands of protesters," he added. Romanian president Klaus Iohannis will name a new Prime Minister to form the new government, which has to be approved by Parliament.

The nightclub fire started after soundproofing foam caught a spark from pyrotechnics during a metal band's performance at Bucharest nightclub Colectiv.
http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=32066