"Abstract Minimal" Artists?

- open
Chouchani
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

"Abstract Minimal" Artists?

Post by Chouchani »

Maybe some of you remember that weird thread on “minimal minimal” from last year, where someone was looking for artists similar to Kaitaro. I just read it and came to think of my personal search term, that you guys could help me with. Mine would have to be “abstract minimal”.

Out of my rather limited knowledge (I got into techno three years ago) I also know just one artist who sticks to this style consistently: Gaiser. I’m not a huge fan of his tracks when it comes to that swinging/jumping-around kind of rhythm. But what I love is their sound design. I guess they sound like they came from a different planet as they hardly suggest any known concrete instrumental sound. Gaiser might achieve that by morphing sounds into each other in microtonic.
However, I’ve never come across a sound so clean and abstract, at least in techno. The examples of sound experimentation I know often include noise and distortion, like the signature sound of stroboscopic artefacts, which in fact has a quite concrete and material feel to it. Also, I’m not looking for ambient, which sounds too washed-out and boring for my taste.

To give you some more random examples that point in the right direction: “Instrulento” by Alexkid (it’s just an intro though): http://www.juno.co.uk/products/dubs-ech ... 66903-01/, “Are Friends Electrik (Miller & Jones Mix)” by Plastikman: http://www.juno.co.uk/products/paco-osu ... 95881-01/, “Black Hole” by Refraction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGUuks9jT1I
seane
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: "Abstract Minimal" Artists?

Post by seane »

If ur into Kaitaro thats a good start. I own a few of his records, my fav is [NR001]. You should maybe go over to the vinyl section on this and you'll find loads of suggestions that will eventually fit your taste. It's all about looking, spending time listening to 90% of stuff you probably won't like but you'll eventually find the 10% of good stuff and take it from there.
Chouchani
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Chouchani »

I actually didn't say that I'm looking for something like Kaitaro. That was another dude on the forum.
I'm already spending a lot of time searching for new stuff on soundcloud, beatport, spotify etc. but I was hoping you could help me out by dropping some names... as you can't really expect much from searching beatport or spotify for terms like "abstract minimal". No tagging system has got the musical understanding of humans.
rap_dot_com
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by rap_dot_com »

Chouchani wrote:I actually didn't say that I'm looking for something like Kaitaro. That was another dude on the forum.
I'm already spending a lot of time searching for new stuff on soundcloud, beatport, spotify etc. but I was hoping you could help me out by dropping some names... as you can't really expect much from searching beatport or spotify for terms like "abstract minimal". No tagging system has got the musical understanding of humans.
You really would probably be best served by looking on discogs before looking on soundcloud, beatport, et al:

http://www.discogs.com/search/?style_ex ... xact=Album

Just looking at the first result, I'm surprised you haven't mentioned listening to any Thomas Brinkmann at all. Might be worth listening to him or Mark Fell, but if that's too abstract in the normal sense of abstract, then just dig on discogs through the recommended releases on things that you do like.
Chouchani
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Chouchani »

Thanks, you’re right. I forgot about discogs. That’s a good start. :-flower

Thomas Brinkmann and Mark Fell: I often feel they’re processing samples (indicated by the characteristics of looping, clicks, cuts etc.), so their sound still has an organic base. Apart from that, a lot of the tracks aren’t really danceable.