Nice ricardo interview

- open
b-ran
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Nice ricardo interview

Post by b-ran »

blizt wrote:He made his name already the past years, without the FB page he would be getting the same amount of work. Now it's just the (well deserved) hype and cult status that surrounds him that get him the bookings imho.
obviously..i didn't say he is dependent on facebook ...

i spoke with him at mutek and he told me he only plays for friends and people he knows. for example mutek, he sees it as playing for Vincent Lemieux, not as playing for Mutek. he also talks about Timewarp in the interview and of his friendship with the founder and how he has played there since its inception.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

obviously after decades in the business i think he can find at every party a "friend" he can play for.
b-ran
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by b-ran »

Themis wrote:obviously after decades in the business i think he can find at every party a "friend" he can play for.
hmm every party? i dunno.

but probably a bit less than Zip, who has no manager and handles all bookings directly himself...and he plays for people he knows. If you randomly shoot him an email trying to book him I dont think it will work out
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

yeah maybe it wont work out, but i think thats cause he has no manager, not because he goes through a rigorous selection process :D

i dont know why people try to make these artists special. if it comes to bookings i dont see a difference between ricardo and every other "mainstream" festival acts.
he plays as much as possible. for as much money as possible.

nothing wrong with that.

actually its kind of incredible that he managed to cloud himself with an aura of mystery and exclusiveness, despite playing so often on so big events.
MlclmDXXX
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by MlclmDXXX »

Themis wrote:
actually its kind of incredible that he managed to cloud himself with an aura of mystery and exclusiveness, despite playing so often on so big events.
So what events should artists play? Should they be more discerning in the hope of pleasing mnml users, or should they just play anywhere and do their best to introduce their music to lots of new people.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

i didnt state an opinion on what events artists should play or not, i just stated a fact that despite ricardo playing on mainstream festivals, he still has an aura of of mystery and exclusiveness.

i just responded to b-ran
i spoke with him at mutek and he told me he only plays for friends and people he knows.
people really believe this stuff, like ricardo is totally underground - you know he plays only for friends.

if you look at his dates, it turns out that he obviously he must have the same friends as every other mainstream artist, cause he plays all the same big events.
MlclmDXXX
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by MlclmDXXX »

No, but I'm asking you, if you were a manager, which events would you have your artists playing?
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

i dont get what relevance this should have for anything in this thread.
i didnt criticize an artist for playing on specific events, nor did i criticize a manager of said artist for booking him on specific events.

i just stated an observation that people still think ricardo is totally underground when in fact he plays all the same events as mainstream artists.