Launch a label

- open
igotsoul
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Launch a label

Post by igotsoul »

Hei guys, i need some precious information like how to launch a small label, let's say 150-300 pressings per release, your own and your friends productions. What's the business, what do i need to know and to do?
handsuphandsup
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Re: Launch a label

Post by John Clees »

what country do you live in?
igotsoul
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by igotsoul »

UK
handsuphandsup
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

one thing I never got around to doing until 10 something years later was a logo. branding is naturally important.

here in the states you can go to the local county office, and get a "DBA- Doing Business As". it used to be like $45 for 7-8 years or something. something very basic but something that is registered. Most business are expected to fail the first few years of business. getting a tax benefit/relief encourages those to take a leap of faith into the unknown. be official about it, save your receipts. getting a desk in your flat/living space here can be used to write off a portion of rent. portion of cell phone cost, and loss for initial start of any marketing material naturally. here, magnets, or stickers posted on the outside of the vehicle could also be used to write off repairs, gas, payments, insurance, ect.

if I had to guess the pressing cost will be between $1000-2000 US depending on artwork and other minor details. perhaps consider a business partner. networking with something who can help design print, clothing, flyers ect.. the compare options within your budget for pressing, mastering, or other assistance you may need. perhaps hand selecting the best ghost tracks on soundcloud.. haha... the t-shirt hustle always appears for some to be a good way to make back some initial start up cost. wish you the best.

have fun and be safe.
brau
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by brau »

Hey,

I just started my label last December. I think John was very clear and I agree with him. The best I can do is share my Process:

I took 2 years, thinking in the right moment to launch the project. Im also a graphic designer and i have, again, to agree with John. Graphic part can be a very important step on the success of your label. Take Smallville as example. If you are going for a 300 pressing copies, take note, you will never go for break even if you have a full cover EP. Only with the repress you will be able to cover the costs. In my first EP i spend 1800 euros in 385 copies. Paying the artist, mastering, printing and pressing. I will risk a full cover, since in the future can make the diference, but im suspect, since im a vinyl addict.

So, im my case i didn't have the design costs, and its me who pick up the tracks, also a crucial point in the success of your label. Go carefully, i listened more than 20 times each track, in home, in a club, with my girlfriend, friends, among others.

At the end, if you are in this just for fun, go for it! I hope you have the money. :)

By the way, My label is Helena. The first EP is from Hinode ( Science fiction rec, Berlin). GO to the facebook page and see the promotion process, from the beginning until now, maybe helps.

Good Luck!! 8)
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

brau wrote: you will never go for break even if you have a full cover EP. Only with the repress you will be able to cover the costs.

- great perspective :!:

- the formula.. or very close that would apply to. 500 copies = break even point on about a $2500 investment (?) which would include the repressing..or more depending the basic variables vinyl, color, style, weight, mastering and artwork.

thanks for sharing!
brau
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by brau »

Thanks. :D

Im here to help, if you need anything else, keep us posted.
igotsoul
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by igotsoul »

Thank you so much guys! We'll keep in touch!
handsuphandsup