Help my room

- open
igotsoul
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Help my room

Post by igotsoul »

Hei, my room has kind of an odd shape so i would like some help with where i should place the monitors to get the best out of the room. Here is a pic http://imgur.com/khrBzUK
handsuphandsup
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: Help my room

Post by Themis »

there is no general rule where to place monitors in your room it depends on your furniture

i think there is no way then to try different positions, or invest in some sound treatment for the room
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

I would recommend you to ask in the acoustics sub-forum on gearslutz. Amazing place to learn on this matters, where professional acousticians hang and willing to help. That's how I started, and now my room has +20 bass traps lol But basically the thing is, if your room is small you are screwed.

About monitor placement, as Themis said there is no rule where to place them, but there are places which can be used as a good start point. One is, monitors almost flush to the walls (that's how I have mines set up), although you should avoid that if your monitors are rear ported. Another place is to sit about 38% into the room, have your monitors and you form and equilateral triangle and experiment from there. On your specific setup, first I would place the monitors in the left wall. Almost always you want to face the short wall for better acoustics. Then I would experiment. Move, measure, repeat... But yeah, that's an odd shape I would go on and ask at the gearslutz forums.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

blizt wrote: That's how I started, and now my room has +20 bass traps lol .
pictures :!: :!: :!:
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

John Clees wrote:
blizt wrote: That's how I started, and now my room has +20 bass traps lol .
pictures :!: :!: :!:
There you go.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10434745-post8842.html

Too lazy to link the pictures there right now.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

must have sounded horrible without the sound treatment

stone floor, nearly no furniture :D
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

Themis wrote:must have sounded horrible without the sound treatment

stone floor, nearly no furniture :D
Indeed it sounded bad, but any empty small room will sound bad. This room was actually a marriage bedroom that I truned into a studio/listening specific room. That's why I have the minimum furniture possible for my needs and the rest is room treatment with the focus in shortening as much as possible the reverberation times across all the frequencies. I built some diffusers too as I didn't want to deaden much the space (aka killing the high frequencies too much). I still have an annoying bump in th 60hz "area because of room modes, but at the moment I'm very satisfied how the room is sounding. It's very hard to turn the average bedroom where we do our living into a stellar sounding room because 95% are square/rectangle shaped anyway.