pioneer dj kuvo

- open
apanell
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

pioneer dj kuvo

Post by apanell »

i'm curious to see what the people of mnml.nl think about this. i am a little suspicious.

it sounds to me like an excellent intellectual property regulation and monetization system, a little like a GEMA/RIAA marketed to the social networking generation.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: pioneer dj kuvo

Post by Themis »

doesnt matter to anyone here i guess

1. nobody here is a big commerical ibiza dj who gets 100.000 per gig
2. nobody here listens to these djs, and if we would, it certainly wouldnt need this app to identify the tracks which are the same on every gig.
3. last time i looked seth was finding his roots and playing vinyl, so im pretty curious what for he is in that commercial.

its just another tool to shove the tracks down people throats, so everyone knows now when guetta plays his newest track, and everybody can buy it in an instant !

and last, i think the big djs will get a cut so even more money, like when hawtin plays your track, the app knows people bought it cause they have it from a hawtin playlist - so there goes 10% provision.

and this will probably lead to artists paying big DJs to play their tracks - fucked up world haha
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

Wait... Did they said that as DJs they write down the track list at the end of their sets to pay taxes or something? I don't know if I got that right... Anyway every time I hear Richie talks in this videos I know he's trying to sell me a big pile of poo.

Overpriced rca and usb cables because they make the sound field "wider", the bass "deeper" and more "precise". Sure. I mean seriously, 60 euros for a couple of rca cables, really? Carl Craig fell into that $$trap$$ too. Didn't saw that coming
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Themis wrote:doesnt matter to anyone here i guess
speaking on behalf of everyone ? -surprised flower mr cynical himself.
Themis wrote:its just another tool to shove the tracks down people throats, so everyone knows now when guetta plays his newest track, and everybody can buy it in an instant !
that is a completely biased and ignorant thing to say. Perhaps you sell your vinyl for profit on discogs, but its sounds as if you don't write music with that state of mind/perception and really understand how much hard work goes into things, and the light this could bring to those efforts.

It does mention "clubs" being linked up to it, so in that sense, its not "just" "big room" epic trance dj's and therefore the growing many that may feed/feen on what other dj's play, it's exposure on a grand scale, one app, all in one place, that could really revolutionize the next step in electronic dance music in regards to helping fans find the inspiration they seek from new artists.

How could you really hate on something that would really help expose the artist, label, and distribution for (vinyl & mp3), and all of their hard work? How could this not help the independent labels and artist further on down the road? Weather anyone likes it or not, the electronic community is moving on to the next chapter, accepting it or not, people (now more than ever) want to know about the music being played.

apanell : you bring up a really good point too, about the tracking as well, which without question has an interesting twist to this all. perhaps this will also help vinyl sales and almost force people who take short cuts with mp3's to now be on blast and be taxed specifically on a global monetary system, which creates several questions. dj's being exposed of non-purchased mp3's. income for mp3 or vinyl sales to double, triple, ect...or another perspective of having mp3 dj's not wanting to be taxed to the 9th degree, go back to vinyl. another good thing that could become of this.

Regarding the RCA cables. it's technology and market place. since it's somewhat new, of course they are going to be 3 times as much. If it's your profession to perform, and you "choose" to use a laptop for expression, why would you not use good equipment? that to me is like questioning a dj, not using good needles. it's a complete contradiction. Of course you'd use good needles. Their is no reason not to. People spend $2000 on mac to dj, but don't want to spend $60 on the best cables... that makes no sense. I just picked up some "live wire elite instrument cables" for half off, and also use all monster cables as well. I didn't run out to replace them all at once, but did it over time. To me it's personally worth the "financial risk" to take that chance. If you can't come up with 60 for good/better cables, perhaps put down the drinking and dope for one day and take a leap. Sure some of it is hype and market place, but in the end I suppose the question is "how much is your sound worth to you and how many short cuts are you willing to take?"
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

maybe my post was a bit pretentious :)

some additional things

1. nobody will tax DJs for playing tracks, if that would be the case, you would have to force clubs and DJs to use CDJs so this will not happen, i dont know where you got that idea. everybody would instantly stop playing on pioneer stuff.
2. its just a promotion tool for labels and artists, big DJs will probably get a cut on sales when they play tracks.
3. yeah you are right for some labels and artists this is exposure for their work, something good ! though of course this is only true for labels who sell their music over the big stores who work together with pioneer. cant imagine for example that anything on bandcamp will get IDed from that software.

i didnt want it to come across as something completly bad, just that it is not really relevant at this point for most not so famous DJs.
famous DJs will probably make money with that tool

also its one argument more to go with a big distribution/shop, rather then releasing it on your own for example on bandcamp.
also would artist who release only on vinyl then have disadvantages compared to artists who release digital?

but of course interesting times, i wonder how that all will work out.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Themis wrote:maybe my post was a bit pretentious :).
Thank you for ...."maybe" ...having ownership of that. :?
Themis wrote: nobody will tax DJs for playing tracks, if that would be the case, you would have to force clubs and DJs to use CDJ
Edit : found this with a quick search,
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121 ... tops.shtml

I thought their was a system already happening in germany that I read not too long ago, where the dj "may" have to pay a (royalty/tax/fee) in order to play an mp3. Similar to ascap or bmi when a song is played on the radio, but wasnt the case if you played vinyl, which would also be the opposite of using cdj as you've stated.

also the band camp is a perfect idea of how the artist could get paid directly if discovered through this system. You're right about perhaps kickbacks and system is being in place to have bigger DJs play, (which labels have also done to radio stations, or now djs) to get their music heard. It also goes into the marketing budget of each label and a tactful approach one may have. If you go to great lengths to market your band camp page then you will also see different results..
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

John Clees wrote: Regarding the RCA cables. it's technology and market place. since it's somewhat new, of course they are going to be 3 times as much. If it's your profession to perform, and you "choose" to use a laptop for expression, why would you not use good equipment? that to me is like questioning a dj, not using good needles. it's a complete contradiction. Of course you'd use good needles. Their is no reason not to. People spend $2000 on mac to dj, but don't want to spend $60 on the best cables... that makes no sense. I just picked up some "live wire elite instrument cables" for half off, and also use all monster cables as well. I didn't run out to replace them all at once, but did it over time. To me it's personally worth the "financial risk" to take that chance. If you can't come up with 60 for good/better cables, perhaps put down the drinking and dope for one day and take a leap. Sure some of it is hype and market place, but in the end I suppose the question is "how much is your sound worth to you and how many short cuts are you willing to take?"
Best cables why? Because they are saying so? They are creating the illusion that this are... Why make dj cables with 24k golden connections in the first place? Djs don't play gigs in places under heavy climatic stress. So the only point is to impress and fool uneducated customers. A cable, is a cable, it works or not. Pass that point it can have more robust connectors, be more sturdy, etc. If you choose to believe in those myths, well, it's up to you, I dont. And no, I don't use the cheapest cables possible but there is a middle ground. Durability matters to me too. Last Cordial cables I bought at 10-12 euros, where fantastic and came with neutrik connectors for example. Cables are solid, I know they will last but I'm not paying 5 times what I'm supposed to be.
Also, there are others videos with dub fire and carl craig promoting these, claiming that as soon as they plug this cables in a club the sound instantly got better... HA! Actually a live gig is the worst place to make critical analysis on such devices since the acoustics are probably a far cry from balanced control room.
Anyway we are going off topic here, but in short I will take with a grain of salt any word coming from mr. hawtin mouth :lol:
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

blizt wrote:Best cables why? Because they are saying so?
of course not, and when you say "they" are you referring to the video you posted w/ rich? I don't need "phat" rca cables. I play vinyl. :-flower

I, like you, just bought middle of the road. One of the benefits of using "monster" is that they come with a "lifetime" warranty, so that was part of the extra cost involved. The guy at guitar center said, they used uphold warranty with monster, but so many people came back for the returns, they do not don't deal with that directly anymore and you have to ship directly to monster now. Monster cables aren't the best, and the "elite live wire" which was my last purchase was even a little less expensive.

indirectly, my point was spending $15 a cord or or $30 (left/right channel) more per machine for "better" not saying the "best" is worth the cost.

That's all, nothing more.

:)