Minimal minimal?

- open
MlclmDXXX
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Minimal minimal?

Post by MlclmDXXX »

Really funny that this thread exists.

I am new to house music (about a year) and I have been on an amazing journey. I noticed what some might call "snobbery" a long time ago, and I definitely would understand why someone would think it about this forum.

However, in every pursuit I have, I am a purist. I see this place as the home of *pure* electronic music, whatever that means.

I notice that there's never much discussion of fairly mainstream DJs or producers, and wonder why that is. And I'm not talking about David Guetta or Avicii. I mean guys like DJ Pierre, Marshall Jefferson and more recently Seth Troxler or KiNK. It seems to be more European DJs, most of which I've never heard of. I've seen Carl Craig and Villalobos threads, but that's about it. Even the parties in my hometown are completely obscure and immensely "artsy".

It leads me to ask, who do the members of mnml listen to? Is this a house or techno forum, and is that why I have difficulty identifying anyone? Or am I just not "pure" enough yet... :lol:
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by breton »

Was this thread some kind of ploy to make us listen to Kaitaro?
Anyway, he sounds like a mixture between romanian-rhadooismygod-boreathon-music and mid 00s minimal.
Wolfgang Voigt is minimal minimal. Early Brinkmann is minimal minimal. Kaitaro and the likes is music for limp dicks.

MlclmDXXX wrote:guys like DJ Pierre, Marshall Jefferson and more recently Seth Troxler or KiNK.
Because they're wank?
The first two are way past it... Have been for the past 30 years. I mean, Marshall Jefferson for fvcks sake?
Troxler is a clownshoe.
And KiNK is just that guy on YouTube.
MlclmDXXX wrote:It leads me to ask, who do the members of mnml listen to?
A wide variety of styles.
MlclmDXXX wrote:Is this a house or techno forum
It is.
MlclmDXXX wrote:Or am I just not "pure" enough yet... :lol:
You need to tell us more about yourself before we judge you. But tread lightly. I mean, Marshall Jefferson for fvcks sake?
Pervade
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Pervade »

Breton, not to be an arse-biscuit myself... but why be so rude just because people like music that you don't? "Kaitaro and the likes is music for limp dicks". Come on, man.

And straight up telling someone that you're going to judge them? What a way to welcome them to a forum.
Get busy listenin', or get busy dyin'.
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by breton »

Pervade wrote:why be so rude just because people like music that you don't?
I wasn't.
I was simply being critical of that style of music. If my choice of words was too harsh for your liking... well... man up.
Pervade wrote:And straight up telling someone that you're going to judge them?
Like question, like answer.
It was half tongue-in-cheek though. Half.
MlclmDXXX
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by MlclmDXXX »

breton wrote:
The first two are way past it... Have been for the past 30 years. I mean, Marshall Jefferson for fvcks sake?
Troxler is a clownshoe.
Not solid reasoning there.

DJ Pierre is still a good DJ, but I accept are old hat.

Troxler being a clown she does not detract from the fact that he's a good DJ with good selection that enables one to have a solid night of fun. Assuming of course, that's what you listen to house for.
And KiNK is just that guy on YouTube.
Again, silly point to make. He's one of the most relevant producers/DJs right now. Who can you recommend me to listen to?
A wide variety of styles.
Such as? Who do you respect or like from the current generation of house and techno DJs/producers that is actually credible enough to be big outside of Berlin, among house/techno heads? Marco Carola? Richie Hawtin? Who would you listen to in Ibiza? (Though I suspect you wouldn't even go). Would you listen to Boiler Room sets? If so, who would you listen to? Educate me, I'm here for that reason.
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by breton »

MlclmDXXX wrote:Not solid reasoning there.
No solid reasoning needed. I'm not trying to prove anything.
MlclmDXXX wrote:Such as? Who do you respect or like from the current generation of house and techno DJs/producers that is actually credible enough to be big outside of Berlin, among house/techno heads? Marco Carola? Richie Hawtin? Who would you listen to in Ibiza? (Though I suspect you wouldn't even go). Would you listen to Boiler Room sets? If so, who would you listen to?
Fvck, mate. You're so EDM, you might as well be Deadmau5. First Dj Pierre, Marshall Jefferson, now Carola, Hawtin... Who is who of not keeping it real. Add Ibiza to that list too.

Can't tell you anything about 'the current generation of house and techno DJs/producers that is actually credible enough to be big outside of Berlin', since i don't care about any of this sh!t. Being big outside of Berlin, currentness, ibizaness - all that.
What i care about is honesty, realness. If you want me to drop you some names, out of the ones still active, Zip, Prosumer, Move D, Petre Inspirescu, Roman Flügel, DJ Sprinkles, Gerd Janson and Murat Tepeli have never let me down as djs.
MlclmDXXX
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by MlclmDXXX »

Thank you. Names was all I needed. Also, I'm not EDM, but I'm just closer to EDM on the scale than you are! Think of it as a spectrum...

EDM (Avicii, Guetta, SKrillex etc)________> Tech House/Deep House (Seth, Martinez Brothers, JJ)_________> Minimal/Techno

Listening to Prosumer's Boiler Room now and I'm massively impressed. #inb4hisboilerroomiswhenhesoldout (joke)

Thanks dude.
MlclmDXXX
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by MlclmDXXX »

Nice to see Zip will be performing at Amnesia :)