Isolators

- open
cbld
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Isolators

Post by cbld »

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with using isolators with their mixers. I was wondering if they are worth the exuberant prices that they are being offered for. I have seen videos of DJ's using them, like Clausell, but was wondering they are really that helpful.
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Isolators

Post by breton »

cbld wrote:was wondering they are really that helpful
Depends on what kind of music you're playing and your style of mixing. Basically, unless you're playing records Joe, Theo or Ron Hardy would play, don't waste your money.
cbld
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by cbld »

So the dis that do use them, for playing non soulful music, have no need for them?
Carlj
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Carlj »

i have one on my E&S DJR 400 mixer.
You can also use it to make certain records that don't have good quality sound stronger.
Also i play with the isolator in the mix, but not to much.
cbld
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by cbld »

Can you only use them on rotary mixers?
Combe
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Combe »

No, you can use it on every mixer, connecting the isolator on the send-return, or on the master ; if you have two or more, you can connect them on each turntable (after the phono preamp if vinyl i presume).

But indeed, in general they are used with rotary mixers, many of whom have no equalizer.

Buying one or not is up to you, depending on your style, your tastes… The price is in the range of the majority of rotary mixers, which are often audiophile products.
Carlj
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Carlj »

but...i have to say, don't over use your isolator.
There are some DJ's who really fck up their set by playing to much with the isolator.
Others like Joe Claussel are famous for doing that.
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by breton »

cbld wrote:non soulful music
It doesn't have to be 'soulful'. It's just that unless you are playing disco/house (and by 'house' i mean real house, not some loopy beatport sniffcokesuckass tech house nonsense) - i really can't imagine you using it enough to justify the purchase.