"Shazam teams up with Juno rec"

- open
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: "Shazam teams up with Juno rec"

Post by Themis »

john, you totally misread all my posts, you read it with the thought in your mind "oh hey another idiot who doesnt want people get IDs"

but thats not at all what my posts were about
the critic is, that in my opinion its only a marketing gag to add some vinyls.

so how are they making money?
perhaps they get a commision/credit and it's tracked obviously if a purchase is made vinyl or mp3 via the link provided by shazaam.
so how do they get commision on a record which can not be sold, cause its vinyl only and limited to 300-500 pieces like most vinyls today, and juno doesnt even get those 500, and they are sold out in a week or two.

From the Articel:
The partnership will let Shazam tap into Juno's pool of four million digital tracks, as well as all new vinyl releases. Though Shazam searches for vinyl material are relatively small— for example, Bicep's vinyl-only track "$tripper" has been 'Shazammed' 9,000 times, while searches for digitally available David Guetta tracks have topped 70 million—the deal is sure to help people who use the app in nightclubs.
as you see the 70 million searches for the david guetta track could lead theretical to 70 million buys of the track
the 9000 bicep searches can not. cause there are only 500 pressed. i would love to know how many were sold through shazam but i would be shocked if it were something over 20 pieces.
Mills added: "Crucially, some of the most important and exciting new music is released on vinyl first before later hitting digital.
thats what they are really aiming at.

The whole part about 30 second samples is a technical question.
you would have to read for example the link damnwords posted about HOW shazam IDs the tracks.
and i believe its not enough for them to have a 30 second sample as a kind of source for comparing it to search samples. cause a 30 second sample is often not really representative for a track hence its not a viable source for comparing.

some people fear (not me), that Zip or Ricardo is playing a ultra rare track from 1993 and people take out their smartphone and identify it.

the point i was getting at is:

That will not happen.

1. as i pointed out in the presstext they will add only new vinyls and foremost vinyls who are hitting digital a month after - cause guess what they sh!t on the 20 sales they could get on a 500 vinyl release, they want the 10.000 digital sales after it gets released digital.

2. (i can not say this with 100% certainty) from a technical point of view, i don't believe their software works with 30-60 seconds sample files as a source for comparing. so i don't think they will analyse millions of samples of old records on juno, which they cant get a single sale from cause they are not digital available and not even as vinyl and there is a high chance they never will be. even more so as they would get it anyway into their database, in the case that it would be repressed or reissued cause then it would be a "new" vinyl on juno.

as you see john, i dont judge what shazam does, i couldnt care less.
i just wanted to clarify what is possible and what is not with juno as partner.

so for me this is just a marketing gag nothing they would focus theire attention to.

what really counts for them is that they have the juno digital database, they already have amazon mp3 and i think apple (i have no iphone)

the argument hangs mostly on that claim of mine that they will not add the samples of juno into their database. we will see if thats true the day someone IDs an old record that cannot be bought digital or on vinyl in any store that shazam has a deal with.

even though this news is from end of march, after 2 month i cant even get IDs on digital files from juno.
im on android here, and i can only buy from amazon.

is it possible for anyone else to buy through shazam over juno?
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by breton »

Themis wrote:so how do they get commision on a record which can not be sold
T, I think you are confused about how these things work. In short, it's not only about how much commission Shazam can get from sales, having more people using it is (arguably much) more important. That's what this partnership is about.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

i read an article that apple plans to incorporate shazam into Siri in iOS8
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

when using the software, yes it's only about 30 seconds Or maybe a minute tops. naturally older records that are vinyl only are the niche that may be the hardest to ID, that goes without saying. I've personally used as It to ID something that was on an old netlabel that wasn't even sold digitally . so assuming it must be sold digitally is just that ...an assumption..

I see your point initially of the thought of them not making money however I think the bigger picture is the partnership of tracking the demand for the record.. If the label knows that there is has been 5000 demands for the record then they can conservatively order more. I think it's a perfect marriage of using technology to track the demand to help the label make good business decisions in the future.

knowing the demand is already there. Or perhaps Juno would know this information and would be willing to stock record, and take on some of the risk and they could make better business decisions together knowing that demand before repressing...
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

yeah i never got that idea that you could track "demand" with shazam, would definitely lead to some records being repressed faster
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

* if that was sarcasm :
I dont use it all that much and don't know if that's an option...
you mentioned "ordering" records, and having them be out of stock...
if you "order" the record and it becomes out of stock.. wouldn't that be..
the same as "knowing" the demand for the item.... :-flower
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

haha no it wasnt sarcasm, i really never thought of this :D

EDIT: sh!t this also sounded kind of sarcastic haha