Roland AIRA TR-8 vs Roland TR-909 & TR-808 comparison demos

- open
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Roland AIRA TR-8 vs Roland TR-909 & TR-808 comparison demos

Post by John Clees »

I'm a gear head at heart and have more than a few roland pieces.. but listened with a complete open mind...

909 video (which to me is the closer sounding of the two)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2az6g-MSCU

it's very close naturally, but as in life, it's about the details. Even eq'd them the AIRA sounds thin and compressed
the 909 sounds wider has a lot more midrange which carries the sound

another 909/ note vs. notes / but even after viewing this I still feel the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XobVykMbsK8

&

808 video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWWlU1IK3-o

I think there is even a bigger difference in the 808 comparison. The TR-808 mid range is completely different. much deeper and lower.

fun but no cigar / next to reissue the originals...
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Re: Roland AIRA TR-8 vs Roland TR-909 & TR-808 comparison de

Post by John Clees »

found ricardo in this video : and he speaks rather highly of it : perhaps just the reissue concept of Roland making it again...
perhaps he was given one.....haha nice peek into lots of his modular stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D-Ieh7x9vQ#t=10
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

I'll have to check one out at the store but its all sold out. No store demos. It's hard for me to get exited over an 808/909/303. It's to the point where hearing an 808 or 909 or 303 acid sounds is not that exiting anymore.
Dal-Tech wrote: Everyone else is trying to be cool, not me.
hey everybody : I'm a douche !
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

sorry john but were does ricardo speak highly of it? i think the marketing department of roland did work on you.
he says a single sentence about the TR-808 and the funny thing about this sentence is, i believe it makes no sense at all

ricardo: "96 khz you say? it is very good sound" - what does that even mean ...

all other things he said were about the company roland and the history and the old 808, not about the TR-808.
i dont say its bad or good, i didnt try the new or the old, just wanted to tell that this video is nothing but marketing crap.

i dont get why roland just wouldnt build the same fucking thing a second time. i just dont get it.

EDIT:

also funny i watched the 808 video in your first post. video starts with the guy saying he has absolutly no idea how to programm the old 808. then plays one pattern. and closes the video with: the courier is waiting they take this (old 808) now away from me, so i have no time to do more.
Last edited by Themis on Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

96 khz is good sound quality. Recreating the originals would no be in the $500 range. Because of the popularity of EDM and the nature of EDM the marketing isn't that deep.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

that makes it even more funny, he couldnt or wouldnt want to say anything about this instrument, so he just said 96 khz is good sound quality!

haha great video really
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by breton »

Themis wrote:that makes it even more funny, he couldnt or wouldnt want to say anything about this instrument, so he just said 96 khz is good sound quality!
haha great video really
Well, he did say that everyone's been waiting for Roland to make it and seemed rather enthusiastic about it. I'm not quite sure who that 'everybody' is though. Maybe Max Loderbauer & tINI.

Also, while it may be a good piece of equipment, but was there any need to make it look so brostep? It's fucking hideous.
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

Villalobos music could easily be software like most minimal or a sampler. Real XOX boxes are great for authentic retro music just like using any old drum machine.

One thing positive I will say about Roland is the people involved in the original TR's were involved in the TR-08. It's not cheesy sample play back groove box type stuff and not a real 909. I was watching a TR-08 and a Korg Volca synth on YouTube and for what it was it didn't sound that bad.