Roland AIRA TR-8 vs Roland TR-909 & TR-808 comparison demos

- open
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Re: Roland AIRA TR-8 vs Roland TR-909 & TR-808 comparison de

Post by John Clees »

just meaning the "idea" of buying all the original including $2100 ish for the 303 is exceeding $6-7,000
Wise-Caucasian
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Wise-Caucasian »

Having had and used both a 909 and 808 for many years I just gotta say that the TR 8 is damn close.

Bought one two weeks ago and it's as near to the real thing as it could be. Remember that every 808/909 is unique so there will be those that find the TR more different than others. For me, it's 98% there and who , at the end of the day is gonna notice 2% when it's playing in the mix with other sounds.

Ok, it's not analogue but does that matter? It is what it is and trust me , It plays , swings and fills the frequency range just like the old machines and for the price I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't have £5k spare to buy the originals.
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by breton »

[Redacted]
Last edited by breton on Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Wise-Caucasian wrote:Having had and used both a 909 and 808 for many years I just gotta say that the TR 8 is damn close..
Thats more than i can say for anyone that has posted so far. Thank you for sharing...
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness.
The Great Dictator' speech by Charlie Chaplin
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

Wise-Caucasian wrote:Having had and used both a 909 and 808 for many years I just gotta say that the TR 8 is damn close.

Bought one two weeks ago and it's as near to the real thing as it could be. Remember that every 808/909 is unique so there will be those that find the TR more different than others. For me, it's 98% there and who , at the end of the day is gonna notice 2% when it's playing in the mix with other sounds.

Ok, it's not analogue but does that matter? It is what it is and trust me , It plays , swings and fills the frequency range just like the old machines and for the price I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't have £5k spare to buy the originals.

I own both machines and use as my drums only. Nothing can replace the originals. The 909 needs a compressor and an eq for the kick. The 808 has these special groove, you cant set a swing like on the 909 but the sequencer is not straight tight, though. The Kick swings like a pendulum. Not every sound is the same (alternating). The 909 uses 8 bit samples and analog sound creation (e.g. the kick). The 808 is full analog, no samples, only discrete circuits.

Also a nice thing on the 909 is that the open hat and the closed hat can`t sound at the time. Check old UK records. Mr. Wise Caucasian my confirm this. The open hi hat is cutted off from the closed hat. Together with the right swing setting the 909 sings as its best.

The AIRA is a nice try but 24bit Samples are to clean. It looks like a toy. About the groove and swing, i dont know if it have the same feeling as an 808 or 909.
eZe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by eZe »

dirddey_iddler wrote:
Wise-Caucasian wrote:Having had and used both a 909 and 808 for many years I just gotta say that the TR 8 is damn close.

I own both machines and use as my drums only. Nothing can replace the originals. The 909 needs a compressor and an eq for the kick. The 808 has these special groove, you cant set a swing like on the 909 but the sequencer is not straight tight, though. The Kick swings like a pendulum. Not every sound is the same (alternating). The 909 uses 8 bit samples and analog sound creation (e.g. the kick). The 808 is full analog, no samples, only discrete circuits.

Also a nice thing on the 909 is that the open hat and the closed hat can`t sound at the time. Check old UK records. Mr. Wise Caucasian my confirm this. The open hi hat is cutted off from the closed hat. Together with the right swing setting the 909 sings as its best.

The AIRA is a nice try but 24bit Samples are to clean. It looks like a toy. About the groove and swing, i dont know if it have the same feeling as an 808 or 909.

Steve O' Sullivan's opinion > Yours.
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

there are important details he also mentioned, which are justifyng me to hold the originals. i heard shitty 909 and brilliant ones. For starters and beginners of music production AIRA is okay. But when you have the chance to buy a real one for a REASONABLE price take it!