Roland AIRA TR-8 vs Roland TR-909 & TR-808 comparison demos

- open
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Roland AIRA TR-8 vs Roland TR-909 & TR-808 comparison de

Post by blizt »

eZe wrote:Steve O' Sullivan's opinion > Yours.
Why? The fact that he is a well known producer does not invalidate other people opinions or feelings about the tr-8.
Wise-Caucasian
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Wise-Caucasian »

I totally agree with you Blitz... I think these machines will continue to generate equal amounts of love and hate for a good while yet .

They are much better than samples or software reproductions though and for anyone starting out, as dirddey_iddler pointed out , it's a great buy but I gotta say .....if I was offered a 909 for a good price I would still think about it.
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

The real 909 looks like a starship and spread this special vibe. I cant describe it, for me its a kind of magic...with the right synths, sequencers and a 909 you can easily have a setup that blow your asses away.

Refer to old Robert Hoods: 1x 909 and two Synths + a shitty FX Unit + a dirty mixer!! Nothing more. A Genius on only 3 Machines.

There are nice hidden tricks on the 909 where the TR8 sucks.

May its hard to find differences in sound from the 909 to the TR8, but in a track when a real 909 is running i can tell you which is the right one!!

@Steve: do you have a demo sequence with the TR8 for us?

Do you think you can recreate the same swing of the following track with the TR8

http://youtu.be/ZJtIte5sAt8
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

Maybe you will be surprised as I was to discover Steve used some drum machines that you can find for very cheap these days in many of his records. :lol: Tbh I was considering the aira at some point, but I decided to buy the cute MFB 522 so I can spend more money on my future modular, planning the thing alone is a complete headache, so much stuff to check and I want to get the rights modules from the get go.
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

No i'm not surprised;) One was used by Octave One too, check one of their Albums. Its an old machine from the 80s.

MFB522 is a nice thing. It can make these 808ish long decay kicks!

Since i got bored from the average output of the vinyl industry i felt more and more in love with machines. I bought a lot and sold a lot. Now, i just hold the ones i really really like: where i can dive really deep in their menus without loosing my direction and bring me to the sound i want.

Its also very important that you have what you want and not what others or famous guys have. Its not a guarantee to make the next killer ep. It depends on what do you have between the headphones and in your chest!!

My Computer is mainly a better Tape Machine or a DAT to CD Converter.

Modular is cool but i prefer the MIDI protocol ;) Thank you Dave Smith!
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

dirddey_iddler wrote:The real 909 looks like a starship and spread this special vibe.
I'm upset for not buying it for apx $150 at a pawn shop many many years ago...

I suppose 28,000 % markup will teach me not to sleep on it again..

:-sadflower
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

909 were very cheap! Same with the 808. Especially, the 909 sounds without an eq very raw. Nobody wanted them.
After approx. 10 years of their launch they got more and more attention.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

has anyone actually tracked the market? I can say I've never seen them this high...
the 303 market was around 1000 when I was jumping 5 years ago, now it's exceeding $2000
just curious as to just how long it (may) be before...
the marketing drops just a little..on 808/909
3,5,10 years...