underrated / overrated

- open
MlclmDXXX
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: underrated / overrated

Post by MlclmDXXX »

The problem with this music is that the scene is such a circle jerk that it's impossible to know who is good and who isn't anymore.

Purists don't suck industry d*ck and don't get booked as much, so they can't maintain music as a profession. It's a complete joke tbh.
Pervade
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Pervade »

Underrated: Triptil and Yaroslav Lenzyak.
Get busy listenin', or get busy dyin'.
Tudor
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Tudor »

Underrrated: Cristi Cons, Vincentiulian
Last edited by Tudor on Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aut.t.n
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by aut.t.n »

MlclmDXXX wrote:
akseltone wrote:how do we define overrated again? like does go by djMag or RA top?
This is what I'd like to know.

I highly suspect there are no criteria, which really means its a

"Who I like" and "Who I don't like"

thread.
"Overrated" = record price > 50$ on discogs 2 days after release ?
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

aut.t.n wrote:"Overrated" = record price > 50$ on discogs 2 days after release ?
haha.. ^ in that example that's completely ridiculous. it could also mean people that follow his work buy up copies knowing there is a huge market on discogs. it also doesn't necessarily mean the artist is doing that directly or even has any control over what "other" people do... discogs now collects a %. big business is surely making it's way into the private markets as it always does. sure their are people attempting to do that directly, but that is only because they attempted the huge market up, met a demand, and are trying to do it all over again.
hewitt1000
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hewitt1000 »

Underrated: Tulbure, Lowris, Priku, VID, Alex & Laetitia Katapult, Evan Baggs, Syncrophone crew (Jon, Blaise & Didier allyne), Del Garda...
Overrrated: Jamie Jones, Tales of us....
MlclmDXXX
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by MlclmDXXX »

hewitt1000 wrote: Overrrated: Jamie Jones, Tales of us....
I'm not anywhere near as much of a supporter of JJ as I was when I first visited this forum, but on what basis is he overrated?

The only thing about him that really annoys me is his willingness to play huge festivals to moronic, ill-informed crowds, and (I suppose) his lack of diversity in track selection (based on what I have seen and heard, though I may be wrong).

He is a real DJ in that he can play live (i.e. with synths etc), he plays vinyl well and he commands respect from many of the people you guys would consider "real".

If anything he has sold out a little, but that doesn't make him overrated.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

MlclmDXXX wrote:doesn't make him overrated.
good point. I think in some cases to many... "overrated" is also a status of getting so big they become irreverent. not doing anything new or different, playing for big paychecks to new audiences, losing the hunger that drove them, and getting thrown into a money making system very difficult to walk away from...