underrated / overrated

- open
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: underrated / overrated

Post by Themis »

cause it was the most boring loop fest i heard in a long time

seemd like he had no idea how to do a good live set with his equipment. sound like he did it the first time. but hey maybe he got better.

but i wouldnt say its overrated, cause overrated can only be something thats like hip and cool at the moment, and i doubt a melchior live set will be or was that ever.
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

b-ran wrote:
roland wrote:totally agree on breton's list..

furthermore:
overrated: melchior live
why

very boring.. it was just adding one loop and fading out another loop.. .. with several minutes of "nothing happens" in between.. but as themis said his live set wasn't hyped .. but i excpected a lot, so he was just overrated in my head ;)

actually this night was really fun, cause afterwards tanaka played, and i thought, yeah this guy is definitely overrated.. but he played a dope and unusual set.. really fast with lots of dance mania stuff, very good ;)
R40UL
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by R40UL »

Matthew Herberts DJ Set in Essen. Late 2013.

John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Themis wrote:cause it was the most boring loop fest i heard in a long time

seemd like he had no idea how to do a good live set with his equipment. sound like he did it the first time. but hey maybe he got better.

but i wouldnt say its overrated, cause overrated can only be something thats like hip and cool at the moment, and i doubt a melchior live set will be or was that ever.
Sounds like the live pa he did at oslo about 6-7 years ago. As mentioned very slow moving, just basic loops moving slowly in between fades. I was highly disappointed. So 7 years later, sounds like he's still doing the same thing unfortunately. :-sadflower
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by breton »

Live PAs are such a joke.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

there's very few live sets that i see that actually get me to stay interested for more than 20min. 90% of the time the sound palette is so narrow (obviously because its one person playing all their own stuff) that before long its just redundant and a bit flat.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

Matthew Jonson does the best live show I have ever seen. The rest have just been sub par compared to the one i witnessed from him a few years back.

overrated - Bicep, Mr G, Prosumer, Jus Ed and the Knowone label.
underrated - too many to mention
damnwords
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by damnwords »

I've seen some good livepa's over the years :
- jpls played (slammed) some really hard stuff ( a lot of people fled the dance floor groaning after 5 minutes, while the rest of us had a blast) ;
- wasn't expecting minilogue to play for 3 hours (or more, I don't remember exactly) ;
- tobias freund always delivered ;
- juju & jordash : all hardware jam-session, great stuff

Melchior was very nice, both times I've seen him ( I really like his tracks); but yes, his livepa is more of a dj set done with electribe's + ableton; nothing breaks the pattern.