- open
whatever
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

a bad joke - vinyl "played" with iphone

Post by whatever »

i just saw this sh!t http://youtu.be/PCS5wgZWzE4

this seems like a very very bad joke...

ps: i don't know why i cannot use the yotube code. i think the video is restricted in some way
ctadamian
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: a bad joke - vinyl "played" with iphone

Post by ctadamian »

Hahaha!

"A vinyl record! But how could anybody play it?" -> Just use a turntable :))
Papa Bear
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Papa Bear »

Fucking marketing people. Always coming up with new elaborate ways to stuff their shitty useless products down our throats. If they made a smartphone device that would be able to read ANY vinyl, then yeah, that would be mega awesome. If that happened there would be no need for portable turntables any longer. But all they made was create a smartphone app that only reads their own vinyl with Boris Dlugosch's track on it. Who would wanna listen to Boris Dlugosch's music anyway?

It does look stylish though, i won't deny that. I'd hang it on a wall in my bathroom.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

i dont get it, so they basically make vinyls with nothing on it, but include a code - so the iphone can download the track from the internet?

thats pretty dumb, why should the label listen more to that than a WAV download?
whatever
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by whatever »

because it makes them look cool i suppose ... "back to vinyl" my ass... stupid and disgraceful marketing action
R40UL
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by R40UL »

Well, as one of those "fcking marketing people" (at least kind of) I gotta give props to the creative department @ kontor, the response rate is outstanding!
as a record collector on the other hand I find this a crude exploitation of the medium I love.
Aside from that I hate colored vinyl.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

[quote="R40UL"]kontor, the response rate is outstanding![quote]

haha, you know that not everything is true what you see in ads right?
aut.t.n
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by aut.t.n »

I don't get the negative attitude here. I think it's a pretty cool marketing gadget, well designed and executed. And actually it's a real vinyl record btw. If you want an argument about it please also see the other side... Without a mass-compatible 'vinyl-is-cool' image I doubt we would see increasing vinyl sales which in the long run helps keeping the whole vinyl eco-system alive. How many pressing plants would survive with pressing ultra-limited strictly underground tracks? Are we at a point where we need to constitute who deserves pressing tracks on vinyl and who is just not underground enough to do so?