Re: Put the focus on the party, not just the dj

Post by R40UL »

breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Put the focus on the party, not just the dj

Post by breton »

@R40UL Image

Function wrote:I think what really matters is what’s coming out of the speakers. I had this conversation with Jeff Mills one time, and he really made a lot of sense when he said it. He was talking about — and this is coming from someone who’s — you know, he’s a focal point when he’s performing, like, he’s an entertainer, and he’s saying to me, “Why are we up onstage? Why are we in the center and the spotlight is on us?” He made a really good point, and when he said it, I was like, “You know what? He’s so right.” When we were growing up, the DJs were in the corner in a dark room. You couldn’t even see the DJ. Even when it was the disco days or Studio 54 or the Paradise Garage, like, the DJ was not center stage with the spotlight on him. And that’s what I mean when I say it’s what’s coming out of the speakers. Yeah, of course you want to see someone performing, and part of watching them do what they do is part of the amazement of it. But at the same time, I think the most important thing is closing your eyes and having your mind blown by what’s coming out of the speaker, you know what I mean? So the process really doesn’t matter that much.