Suspicious shipping cost

- open
thasim1
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Suspicious shipping cost

Post by thasim1 »

OK so I'm ordering two records over discogs (Well, including the superlongevity it could really be maybe 3 / 4 in total i guess):

http://www.discogs.com/release/660579
http://www.discogs.com/release/609740

Anyway, the seller is charging me about 10 Euros to have them shipped within Germany which is where he operates. From what is specified in his shipping information, this indicates the total package is (apparently) close to 10kg (he calculates shipping charge by weight). Can two records really come to 10kg in total????

At this point I see 3 possible explanations. 1) The guy is using a big bulky package which accounts for the excessive weight. 2) I'm developing some kind of vinyl related paranoia. 3) Rip off.

As far as 3 goes, I may have come across as an annoying buyer: i.e. not updating my shipping information and requesting he change it after the order has been placed. also, asking heaps of naive questions (I'm fairly new to buying wax through discogs/paypal). Never the less, suggesting this bloke has jacked up the shipping price due to some personal vendetta against me is a pretty hefty allegation.

I need some opinions before I buy / cancel (fck sake theres a dude doing the same records with registered shipping for half the price).
R40UL
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Suspicious shipping cost

Post by R40UL »

Haha, I had the exact same Problem when I was also trying to buy PERL53.
The sellers name was selected-records, he charged me 9.95£ (about 12€) for shipping in Germany.
"For sleeve, packaging, packaging material, shipping costs, etc." As he said.
I canceled the order right away, he was cool with that and pretty communicative so I can't be too mad at him.

FYI: Both Records are still available @ Deejay
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

send to seller an email to see if potentially you can add 1 or two more records for the same fee he's charging to ship. and/or if he has a personal (more or less) flat shipping cost. I've known sellers to charge a flat fee for 1,3 or 5 records.. see if there is anything else you can get from the sellers collection.. and/or start looking in his collection : just in case.

I assume you've send the seller an email too? Start there to see what his process is... of course person to person can & will vary..
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

thats 5 records you try to ship.

he cant send it as a letter cause its to heavy, so he has to use a parcel service
there are not many parcel services who operate under 10 euro ..

and its up to 10kg not 10 kg... so you could add another 5 records and the price wouldnt change..
aut.t.n
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by aut.t.n »

I don't quite get the situation. Is there some cheaper shipping at all mentioned within the seller's terms for less than 10kg i. e. for 4/5 records?

If not, it's your own fault to order if you do not want to pay that amount for shipping. You can try to apologize and cancel the order and then it's up to the seller how he deals with that (concerning rating).

If yes, he's charging you wrong cause as you said - 4/5 records are way below 10kg (unless he's shipping in metal boxes).

That's all that counts imo.
thasim1
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by thasim1 »

up to 10kg is not the minimum shipping cost. within germany he charges 5.5 euros for a package up to 2kg, and 6.9 for one up to 5kg - this is the problem! on the face of it i thought my order would have qualified for the 2kg fee, maybe 5kg depending on how its wrapped etc. Why 10?

hahah i actually had no idea i could get moriomelo from dex / deejay.de, hence the reason i sort out discogs.

to be honest i do not want to go through with this order at all. i will definitely try to rectify this through emailing the guy, however, if worst comes to worst, what does getting a bad buyer rating actually mean? would sellers be less keen to deal with me as a result?
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

bad buyer rating means nothing imo.. if the guy transfers the money i ship the package..
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

man, why dont you talk to him? tell him 5 records is below 5 kg... i dont get why you tell us that story?!? did you talk to him? does he refuse to accept his own shippingterms?

you can add 300 grams per record + 300-500 gramm packaging.

and yes bad buyer rating does mean something, as seller you can block anyone under 80% rating or even only accept 100% ratings.

that means you wont even see the records listed from these buyers.