The end is near: NI unveil Traktor DJ for iPad ............

- open
ao_xk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: The end is near: NI unveil Traktor DJ for iPad ........

Post by ao_xk »

roland wrote: this is not even about playing vinyl or digital anymore but with laptop and controller and effects and those stuff it's really a whole other thing..
(speaking about laptop mixing here, not necessarily any of richie's latest sets) I think it's innovative, I like and I think it has potential. Don't underestimate things that are nascent. Maybe try to see the potential in it, instead of how it sucks compared to more mature styles?

And stop hating on richie cause he's got loads of money. Some of his ideas are actually okay, like the sensory rich club environments he envisions...
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

didn't want this to turn into vinyl vs. digital.. should have expected it tho..
ao_xk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ao_xk »

I think there is a middle ground that can reached... which can be magical. but we won't find it if we keep creating arbitrary divisions.
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

ao_xk wrote: And stop hating on richie cause he's got loads of money. Some of his ideas are actually okay, like the sensory rich club environments he envisions...
No one is hating on him cause he got a bank account with lots of zeros. I dont give a damn. But anyone with half a brain can already see at this point that he is full of sh!t. Cube? Contact? Fashion line? Tooth brush? Sake parties? Give me a break. Were is the music? All this is coming from one of the greatest legend of techno. Seriously, what the f u c k !!

What about going in the studio and actually producing some mind blowing never heard techno? Too difficult of course :green: It's better to fool new generation thinking they can be new richie if you buy the new NI controller. I never believed all that crap about mixing zillions tracks together, having more options with his laptop, blablabla. Last time I checked on of his sets it was the same tired boring stuff that 5 years ago.
ao_xk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ao_xk »

When you put it that way.. yes.. the toothbrush was kinda fail, his sets nowadays are not as good as his older ones (strictly musically-wise) and he would definitely earn a lot of respect if he produced some fresh stuff.

But hey, let the man be, if you hate on him he's going to escape in the fame and really stop trying...

I personally hope he continues to push for the enriched club experiences. I'm really unimpressed by the clumsy visuals and dull physical environments that you find in most of the clubs... I think there's so, so much potential in a cross-sensorial club experience (not saying music should play any lesser role than it has so far!).
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by breton »

ao_xk wrote:I think there's so, so much potential in a cross-sensorial club experience
But what are your thoughts on the subject though?
Field
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Field »

roland wrote: but maybe i'm a kinda radical and narrow minded nerd so.. :?
I think here most of us are. Me included. Thats the reason we are on this messageboard discussing these "(non)" issues in the first place (;

@ao_xk & blizt this is not just about richie, its about the technology or innovation that NI pushes with his support.
DJs scratch, cue and loop by touching the waveforms directly. And they can do it without sweating the mix too much: NI has tweaked how Traktor analyzes music, adding "precise downbeat analysis" to ease the process of mixing on an iPad. The app will even suggest your next track using an algorithm that takes into account tempo and harmonic structure.
Whichever way you perform, vinyl or digital, if you don't need to 'sweat' the mix and the software takes over the task of beatmatching AND selecting your tracks, where does talent fit in this equation?

the continues need to simplify the process of mixing and selecting records to reach as many people as possible in order to sell a product isn't necessarily good innovation either.

there is btw a great documentary that addresses this development: PressPausePlay
"The digital revolution of the last decade has unleashed creativity and talent of people in an unprecedented way, unleashing unlimited creative opportunities. But does democratized culture mean better art, film, music and literature or is true talent instead flooded and drowned in the vast digital ocean of mass culture? Is it cultural democracy or mediocrity? This is the question addressed by PressPausePlay, a documentary film containing interviews with some of the world's most influential creators of the digital era."
ao_xk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ao_xk »

breton wrote:
ao_xk wrote:I think there's so, so much potential in a cross-sensorial club experience
But what are your thoughts on the subject though?
You're right.. I shouldn't speak.. I should probably be in the studio too...
Is it cultural democracy or mediocrity?
Actually I think that question might apply to several fields nowadays... Thanks for suggesting the documentary, I hadn't heard of it.