Need Advice - Fruity Loops & Sample Packs

- open
spage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Need Advice - Fruity Loops & Sample Packs

Post by spage »

I have just had the pleasure of getting myself fruity loops and have discovered that (as expected) the sample library that comes with the package is not what I was looking for. I'd like to start my journey by producing some funky percussive techno tracks and figure that to make a good start I'd need to find a suitible sample pack of sounds but I just don't know where to start looking. Does anyone have some suggestions of a sample pack that I can search out which would fit my requirements?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Need Advice - Fruity Loops & Sample Packs

Post by tone-def »

My advice is to keep away from sample packs. Why not buy a drum synth plugin and make your own sounds? It's a lot more fun and you will learn a lot more from it.
spage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by spage »

Thank you for your reply, but come on? I've just bought the programme don't you think I should crawl before I can walk? It sounds like you expect me to be running already my friend. If you could advise a decent sample pack with some nice sounds that I get get stuck straight into it'd be most appreciated. That way I can concentrate on learing to sequence and arrange and actually get something working that I'd enjoy listening to while working at trying to learn the packages many features.
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

Google - crawl - run

google is the modern musicians best friend.

Use this forums search function (producing)

Glhf
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

I've had FL Studio for years, but I've rarely touched their boring samples.
I mostly take samples from my own drum machines. If you don't have one, you could ask a friend if you could sample theirs. Also, you could get a microphone and record yourself striking various objects for percussion. 8)
spage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by spage »

Ingemar wrote:Google - crawl - run

Glhf
he he he, I won't google it because I wanted to say "Walk" not "Run". Running on this subject would be making full tracks capable of being put out for sale on record labels. Walking would be making music at home that I enjoyed listening to myself. The subversion of the well know quote was totally intentional.
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

Spage i didnt at all mean to be a smartass (in fact i am in no such position to be at all, English isnt my first language). what i meant was: the stage before crawling is googling.

Get a sample pack, and if you ever feel that its hard to construct a whole track, treat yourself with constructing a sample kit of your own. it does wonders for creativity
spage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by spage »

Ah right, Ingemar, it's hard to tell what people are trying to say on forums sometimes. My idea to learn how to put together a track that is sequenced well is to get an extended loop going that sounds good over several bars so it's not repetitive and then break it down. After which I thought it might be good to base the arrangement on records I like and enjoy mixing and learn that way. I'm fine mixing other peoples records together so I have an understanding a phrasing etc but I guess putting it together on screen is harder than letting go of a record at the right time so everything lines up, which is why I'd like to try this way i.e getting some good sounds that are already well produced and then trying to emulate tracks I like but with my own library of sounds. Naturally the tracks will not sound anything like the inspiration but I think it'd be fun. After all it's only me that's listening to them.

It's typical but there are so many tracks out there that I listen to small portion of and think that rocks, but then something is added to the mix and it just totally throws me and I end up not enjoying the track. It'd be nice to try and emulate those sections with sounds available to me in my own library and see where it goes . . . Naturally it'll be pants but hey!