track ID'ing

- open
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: track ID'ing

Post by Themis »

of course its also important for me to hear new tracks, as for everyone else on this forum.

what i meant was, its easy to get attention with a lot of new tracks, for example early raresh sets like 2007-2008, at the time they were new, i didnt know what most of the tracks were and i thought woow really good set.

if i go back now i know most of the tracks and the mix is really bad.

on the other side there are mixes like ricardos taka taka. i know every track, i have nearly every track, but i could listen to it over and over again and still think its a fucking good mix.

so what i meant to say was, if you play a lot of unknown tracks now and get a lot of attention, think about if people would come back after 5 years after nearly every track is known, and still think its a good set.

also what i really like is, when DJs make tracks work, when i thought they would never work. and thats only possible if i know the track already. pedro does this often, playing tracks which i dissmissed as not good enough to buy. they are still not obvious bombs, but he made it work somehow - and thats something i really like.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

hm i have to take a listen to taka taka again. at that time it came out i really thought of a bad villalobos set. he was so good so many times at the robert johnson perlon nights around 2002-2003. taka taka was not even close to that.
it´s true that a good dj can make an average track work in a set. that´s why so many average tracks get requested. i dont see a point in that. just shows how far away you are from your own thing.
techno made me do it
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

very valid points about a dj making a track work. in the end, its the talent of the dj or artist right? it's their position to repeat it, and do it all over again...
pastapiu wrote:I just want to get this of my chest:
It seems as if everyone has direct access to the most beautiful tracks. .
I think this is a good thing... in the end it's just someone's "personal" opinion right?
I agree it's a touchy subject. my generation also came from keeping things private... but with sites like..http://www.mixcloud.com/ if you comb over the dj mixes many track id's are mentioned... or pod cast everywhere... most of them require track list. the dj is just the presenter... letting someone know about a track that moves another person is an honor.. that person will always remember you helped them connect them to inspiration.. helping someone else or the public be inspired is one of the greatest gifts a dj can give...... I think people are moving past this idea to just keeping things for them-self's... being an artist myself, its also about the artist who spent the time to write the track. they should be know for their work..

I think it's just basically the evolution of music and our culture... with so so much music out.. it's a good thing their is a way to keep track of the "most beautiful tracks".. way way too much sh!t music being pumped out... the old ways of finding inspiration has evolved.. you have to use new tools that are readily available to you...since the world is becoming more and more connected, their are just too many good tracks waiting to inspire you..

in many cases someone else had to help you id a track as well... so it's just simple logic of passing things forward.. in the end to me it's about letting people be inspired. it's a new day and age.. we are in the information and access era... their is no going back... more and more people are actually trying (at least) to make a living from doing music.. this is a blossoming time more than ever.. there is more of a demand for electronic music than ever before..

the world is in a band-aid... having people being inspired and feeling high from purely music is exactly what the new chapter on this planet needs..

peace on earth : is every person : inspired..
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

yeah i agree with all of what john said. the problem for me lies when someone on discogs puts the price to more then 100£. I dont mind paying 20-30 for a track, but when someone finds out that raresh has played a track and then puts it for 100£ it just fucks me off.
headband
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by headband »

There's something that really bothers me of the attitude of the original poster's comments. You're merely a DJ, when you produce all the beautiful tracks you are playing out then it is within your jurisdiction to govern how and where that music is accessible, but as a DJ you are merely a curator of sounds, kind of like a curator in a museum. You did not create these pieces but you are merely curating them in a way you see fit to create an atmosphere or mood.

Also I find it deeply ironic you consider what you do "crate digging." Applying that logic that it's a shame that everyone has access to the most beautiful tracks wouldn't you assume that vinyl DJs also feel that way about digital DJs??
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Kiani »

headband wrote:There's something that really bothers me of the attitude of the original poster's comments. You're merely a DJ, when you produce all the beautiful tracks you are playing out then it is within your jurisdiction to govern how and where that music is accessible, but as a DJ you are merely a curator of sounds, kind of like a curator in a museum. You did not create these pieces but you are merely curating them in a way you see fit to create an atmosphere or mood.
Yeah, I feel you, but if Jeff is a curator in a museum who works hard and honestly to show pieces to the public and Jack comes in, doesn't appreciate the art but just wants the list of pieces Jeff shows to get the success Jeff has, I bet Jeff would get frustrated too ;)
smutek
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by smutek »

I've never been down with the keeping tracks private thing. One of the main foundations of being a DJ is sharing music - it's usually just sharing it with a dance floor, but it's deeper than that. It's spreading it and sharing it, period. Dance floor, a friend, another DJ, whatever. Another foundation of being a DJ is knowing that it isn't about me, it's about the room, the listeners, the vibe.

That sounds all hippy-dippy to some people but when we get our ego's out of the way it becomes truly beautiful. Maybe someone IDing a track here on this forum enables someone else, later that night, to drop that track at just the right time in a club halfway across the world, blowing peoples minds, changing some kids life, and maybe launching a career for the artist that actually wrote the track. Last night a DJ saved my life, and all that shiz.

Maybe that's a bit of an extreme example, but it illustrates the point that this is much much deeper than me, or at least it can be, if I can just get out of the way of myself and let it be.

Finally, most concrete, and some may argue most importantly - that track isn't mine to withhold- I didn't write it and I feel like I owe it to the artist to spread that shiz far and wide any time I have the opportunity to do so - not keep it in the dark, hijacking it like it's some sort of secret weapon or something.

I feel pretty strongly about that man, haven't posted here in ages but had to chime in with my .02 - YMMV.

PEACE! 8)
simplify and have something to say ~ luba lukova
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

smutek wrote:when we get our ego's out of the way it becomes truly beautiful.

maybe launching a career for the artist that actually wrote the track. Last night a DJ saved my life, and all that shiz.
-ex

- thanks for posting here again...