deadmau5 vs A guy called gerald

- open
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: deadmau5 vs A guy called gerald

Post by breton »

muftufu wrote:
deccard wrote: sadly he has some confused opinions concerning that matter. i guess he read too much of the wrong literature without discussing it. it´s some strange conspiracy crap. i´ve seen other people i thought they are intelligent enough but got misguided by internet mumbojumbo blogs and all that crap. just say 911 and santaclaus knocks on your door.
typical jewish propaganda :D

:D
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

:D
techno made me do it
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

Themis wrote:haha if you dont read the nuke sh!t, its a nice reply from gerald !

though its really sad, gerald went there, he must have been really angry :/
Agreed.

Most of what he said made sense but the "nuking Palestine" bit was completely uncalled for. I've seen some people try to defend it and deny that it's anti-Semitic/anti-Zionist/whatever but implying that someone with a Jewish sounding name wants to nuke Palestine is xenophobic as fck. I'm in no way defending Isreal or anything like that but anyone who can't see that as a horrible, offensive comment is missing something...
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Toloache »

After reading this, i took the time to read deadmau5 page, gerald page, and their relative facebook.

My impression: first i think lately this commercial vs "underground dj" hating seems to be the last cool thing... i mean, first sneak, now gerald, it seems like they are envious of the success of other people, and so they either rage about it, or make those statement to make people talk about them, i dunno, in my opinion is counter productive.

Then, reading gerald comment and facebook page, i feel sorry for him, because he write racial statement all over (even before the mau5 thing). It seems he is paranoic about racism, maybe he was really traumatized by something, but it's not normal. And the irony is, that from this he became racist himself. Hatred is going to produce only more hatred.

Aniway, in a way i simphatize even with the thigs deadmau5 wrote. It's not like he say he only push a button, he say that with a little bit of training everyone can do what he do. Yeah, it's true, it's no rocket science. Maybe gerald was feeling really special for his all analog djset, and hearing someone saying that it's no big deal made him rage... talking about elitism... I think the difference is in your music choice and sensibility, and this is even subjective, not in what way you play it. I mean, people go to gerald act, he use drum machines, people are happy. Other people go to mau5 act, like what they hear, and go home happy. They couldnt bother what whic one used.

I think gerald drum machine driven dj set, and deadmau5 triggering a drum machine in ableton via midi are not at all different.

Then, if we talk of a modular djset like steevio does, that's another story. That's real improvisation. I dont think gerald make synth patches on the fly, probably he has some patches saved from his productions and combine them live. Same thing as deadmau. I dont see all this difference.

And beside that, if im happy of what im doing, i dont go bitching about some other people. That's envy I mean, if it is like this.. What we have to say about luciano mixing from and ipod or an ipad? In the end it's about the music you play, not the way you play it. And it seems lot of people like deadmau5 music, even if it's not our or gerald thing.

There's my thougts.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

Toloache wrote: seems like they are envious of the success of other people
Sorry but I hate how this always seems to be brought up whenever the subject of a commercially successful musician comes up. Jealousy isn't everything, and I doubt most of the underground guys who slag off Deadmau5 and his ilk are doing it because they wish they had their clueless teenage fans and shallow mainstream recognition.

Maybe there's an element of "I know my music is objectively better but the kids don't get it" but I think blaming it on envy is oversimplifying, and maybe a bit patronising as it implies everyone has the same definitions, values and aspirations of success and fame. It would be the same if I was talking about, say, Tiesto, lots of people come out in defence and say "you just wish you had his fame" but no, playing trance music in stadiums isn't a particular ambition of mine.
aut.t.n
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by aut.t.n »

Sorry, what deadmau5 writes is a plain silly generalization. If he would say "what *I* do is just hit whatever" that would be one thing. But he says "every edm act does this or that". It's arrogant, wrong and it disses a lot of people's efforts. Also it's a no respect attitude towards people who obviously paved the way for him. Without the edm underground someone like mau5 would not be where he is. And I can very well understand that someone who has a different approach to performances can get angry about such a statement and that has nothing to do with being envy.
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

"Don’t know where the nuke sh!t came from – maybe too many coffees"

read: too much cocaine

people should chill out a bit
or are some guys getting jealous of somebody else's money?

give us a break
f***in materialists
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

sorgenkind wrote:"Don’t know where the nuke sh!t came from – maybe too many coffees"

read: too much cocaine

people should chill out a bit
or are some guys getting jealous of somebody else's money?

give us a break
f***in materialists
Gerald has apologized for what he said there.