passport "occupation" field...

- open
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

passport "occupation" field...

Post by cloutier »

this might only really pertain to us people, but i recently sent in my passport to get more visa pages attached because my traveling has greatly increased, and on the paperwork for it i listed my occupation as "dj" without even thinking.

is this going to come up as some sort of flag when i come back in? are they automatically going to know i was traveling abroad, making money, and give me sh!t for it? or am i being paranoid, and things like that don't really show up?

also curious if it'll be a problem for me when i travel - will foreign border agents know what i'm doing before i even arrive?

if so...maybe its time to "lose" my passport and get a new one. :shock:
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: passport "occupation" field...

Post by Themis »

is there still no legal possibility to get a work visa in the EU or US for DJs?
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Themis wrote:is there still no legal possibility to get a work visa in the EU or US for DJs?
Most DJ's I know, from EU who tours in US, always get the work visa, even though it sometimes is a bit problematic, but they always get it, because it's big problems if they get caught without.

Regarding the original question I can't be of any help, but I think you're paranoid. Just because you're a DJ, doesn't mean you were working last time you were in EU (even though you probably were, haha)...
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

so the problem is there are no work visas for the whole europian union? if you tour through europe you have to get it for every country?
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Be Self Employed – Germany offers a “self-employment” visa. If you are a freelancer and have some form of income, this is the visa to get. It’s perfect and will give you one to two years in the EU. This isn’t a business visa where you move your company to Germany but a visa for contract workers, artists, web folks, and other freelance type jobs. You need to apply for this visa when in Germany.

You can apply for this visa while you are in Germany and the process usually takes about a week. You simply need the following documents to your visa appointment:

A completed application form.
2 passport photos.
Bank statements – Like the other visas, they want to know you have money just in case you don’t find work. As before, the more money the better.
A copy of your resume.
Proof of residency – You’ll either need to be on a rental contract or be on someone’s rental agreement. You need to bring an official copy of the rental agreement to the immigration office. Adam of Travels of Adam, says “All i’ve ever had are short sublets. You still have to register at a local city office but all I’ve done is show up with a printed-out lease from the Internet, and submitted that. Once you do that, you get the official form from the local office and that’s all the visa people wants to see.”
Health insurance – You need to have German insurance that is valid for at least 1 year. It’s easy to get once you are in Germany and you don’t need to be a citizen of Germany to get it.
Bring a German speaker with you just in case there is a need for translation.The process is pretty straightforward. You might get lucky and get the visa that day. Or they might review it over the course of a couple of weeks. But if they do that and your 90 day Schengen visa is close to expiring, they will give you a temporary 3 month visa extension while they process your request. In theory, one could apply for the visa knowing they won’t meet all the requirements simply to get the 3 month temporary visa.

It’s very rare someone is denied for this visa if they can show they have a job and proof of income. You can find out more information here.

http://www.berlin.de/labo/auslaender/di ... fo_en.html
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

i know i should go for visa's, but when you're not making enough to warrant it, its hard to justify giving up more income just to be there legally. horrid way of looking at it, but, save for the uk, australia, and russia, visa's aren't that big of a deal for dj's, so far as i've noticed. don't hear of many people getting deported from barcelona, berlin, rome, paris, etc.

that being said, i'm also 99% certain that the only info shared universally with passports is full name, date of birth, passport number, photo, and, in our case, social security number, and maybe travel history. other sh!t, though, isn't shared outside of the home governments database (though the usa does have a full disclosure with canada, which is why we get hassled all the time).

ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

cloutier wrote:
that being said, i'm also 99% certain that the only info shared universally with passports is full name, date of birth, passport number, photo, and, in our case, social security number, and maybe travel history. other sh!t, though, isn't shared outside of the home governments database (though the usa does have a full disclosure with canada, which is why we get hassled all the time).
yeah you're right. i have searched a lot on the internet about what's shared between countries and its what you stated. i want to come to the us, but have a criminal record so im meant to state it, but there is no way of them finding out according to what people are saying on the internet so i shall be keeping my mouth shut.

I think in your case, they wont know.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

ray parry wrote:
cloutier wrote:
yeah you're right. i have searched a lot on the internet about what's shared between countries and its what you stated. i want to come to the us, but have a criminal record so im meant to state it, but there is no way of them finding out according to what people are saying on the internet so i shall be keeping my mouth shut.

I think in your case, they wont know.
supposedly things outside of like...murder, robbery and other capital offences aren't shown on anyones exterior record. meaning the us wouldn't know about some parking ticket or shoplifting or whatever.