are there afterhours events in your neck of the woods

- open
loictambay
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: are there afterhours events in your neck of the woods

Post by loictambay »

we do have a pretty amazing little afterhour spot in Honolulu, Hawaii believe it or not, called Asylum Afterhours...its small, holds up to 150 people on a good night. all about the music and the vibe...def worth checking out if ur ever in Hawaii
Last edited by loictambay on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

Yes there certainly are in Glasgow.

Clubs shut at 3 so there's usually something going on, there's a few usual afters venues and otherwise always a house party or something to go to. Lots of people happily party well into the next day... I hardly ever have the free time to justify spending the entire weekend spangled but it's definitely possible!

There are a few annoying trendy places and "club photographers" and so on here, and it is starting to seep into the house/techno scene once in a while, I think Berlin clubs are onto something with their no photo policies...
Harry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Harry »

People might complain about London, but personally i think it's great for going out. There's always variety of parties to choose from weekly, covering all the different sounds current at the moment.

As for people taking too many photos and trying to look cool, i know what you mean but as long as you enjoy yourself, isn't that enough?

Personally my favourite new night is Undersound, perfect for techno and minimal heads, always put on a good afterparty in a cool space too.
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by breton »

Harry wrote:As for people taking too many photos and trying to look cool, i know what you mean but as long as you enjoy yourself, isn't that enough?
But how can you enjoy yourself when there are people around you who don't even tap their feet let alone dance. They just stand there trying to look cool and occasionally take videos with their iphones.
Once i saw a couple that was standing on the dancefloor and laughing at how other people danced.
Surely you can close your eyes and just lose yourself in sound, but then the photographer comes and rapes your eyes with the flash...
The party that was supposed to be about having fun turns into a battle.
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

WillieSmalls wrote: The last time I felt any sense of community in a club was in the late 90's/early 2000's.
To summarise, kids don't do enough drugs.
Not enough drugs, or not the right drugs...

Here in Geneva, going out usually sums up to having a long "apéro" until the bar close at 2:00, and then head to a club for the 3 remaining hours of the night before they have to close at 5:00. There's one proper after hour spot though. It's not systematically open, and when it is, it's mostly disco and classic house that gets played. Not so much deeper electronic music here unfortunately for me...
The current regulations and housing crisis make it so it's almost impossible to find a place to transform into a party place. Some signs are showing this might change, but seeing the pace at which things move in Switzerland, it should be good again by the time i'm 40 :|
The "local scene"(used very loosely) seems mostly interested in chatting with loud music, bobbing their heads to the very trendy slow-house sounds and showing around.
Unfortunately, it seems to me people don't go out to experience the music anymore, nor really to get together in the communal sense. More clubs should have a no camera policy and focus more on tightening the community feel rather than book the same world renowned acts. I believe "clubs" (as in by definition "an association or organization dedicated to a particular interest or activity") have stopped being clubs for a community, and have become concert halls with electronic music...
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

Unfortunately, it seems to me people don't go out to experience the music anymore, nor really to get together in the communal sense.
So much truth in this, I think this is due even more so now because of the availability of music, people can download any podcast and mix for free usually. Most parties I go to and the ones I put on tend to be places where people go to hook up, chill and relax rather than a huge rave up. Almost like socializing first and music second.