Playing with a Saxophonist etc

- open
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Playing with a Saxophonist etc

Post by jackbrazzo »

Guys

At the moment I am playing once a month with a sax player- Its great fun! I wondered has anyone else tried DJing with live instrumentation. I reckon a good guitar play could work?
I am actually after people that do this so if anyone has experience of doing with a live instrument then just let me know.

JB
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Playing with a Saxophonist etc

Post by jackbrazzo »

there is also some beers and a fee available (*)
reddie
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by reddie »

does it work well for you?

I have a friend who does the same thing with a saxophonist and I've said to him with all honesty, 'my friend, mixing nina simone - feel good remix with a sax while she sings sounds utter terrible'. He didn't take that opinion so well. He plays this latino-house and the saxophonist follows him here and there, which in my opinion sounds awful. ;)
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mehta »

pretty tasteless idea although it seems to have worked out for parov stelar and a few other cheeseballs

I know a guy who plays trombone along with a hip-hop "ensemble" - after their set he usually insists on jamming along with the other DJs for the rest of the night. awful awful stuff
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

Yep it works well, so well that I've got a lot of gigs out of them. This isnt your normal club gig and I actually like doing stuff like this - at least I am trying to offer something different too.

Thanks for replying with your honest comments. I am going to get a spanish guitarist at the next one :)
zentex
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by zentex »

i have deejayed with a lot of instrumentalists and the problem is always the same: when using the pitch, the instruments go out of tune...the only exeption are the percussionists as the tone isn't that important.
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

i was jamming with a trombonist for a while. I played clips and drumloops and he improvised, some of the stuff we made were pretty awesome, but it takes a lot of practice imo to get a good synergy and consistency
Marcus Stork
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Marcus Stork »

Yes i have done a set together with a saxophonist a few years ago. It turned out realy good, i loved it. The guy on sax is awesome, he timed my music pefectly.