Legal advice on white labels

- open
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Re: Legal advice on white labels

Post by John Clees »

Dal-Tech wrote: This is true to a point. With the IRS *you have* to be trying to make a profit which is hard today releasing vinyl. So getting a business liscense just to release wax if it isn't producing profit will not be a viable business.

The only way around this is if you are a sole propieter or LLC that makes money doing business with something else. So if you make money in the Art and Design field you can have a vinyl label and treat the loss as a write off. It could be viewed as promotion part of your art business.
umm that's exactly my point :!:

that's why you can show a loss.... yes. a non viable business may show a loss. which is why it isn't "viable" or profitable......
This is true to a point. With the IRS *you have* to be trying to make a profit which is hard today releasing vinyl
sure. but that doesn't mean you can't try.

p.s. also you dont need a sole proprietor or LLC to file a D.B.A. at the county and claim your expenses as write off's.. new business are encourage here in the states. so to say the "only way" isn't truth what-so-ever. if your showing profits into the 1000's, then sure go ahead and get an LLC perhaps. and even then, based on variables you should talk to an accountant. There may be variations based on number of employee's ect... as well as the type of product or service...but there may never be a need to do a llc with just one person releasing/pressing vinyl.
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

john clees wrote:
Dal-Tech wrote: p.s. also you dont need a sole proprietor or LLC to file a D.B.A. at the county and claim your expenses as write off's.. new business are encourage here in the states. so to say the "only way" isn't truth what-so-ever. if your showing profits into the 1000's, then sure go ahead and get an LLC perhaps. and even then, based on variables you should talk to an accountant with, their may be variations based on number of employee's ect... as well as the type of product or service...
"It is also against the law to set up a fake home business in order to use your primary residence and personal expenses as tax deductions. Any business, home based or otherwise, must meet certain standards for clear business practices with an eye toward profit in order to qualify for any tax breaks. Just saying you have a home business, without meeting these standards is not a legal tactic."
Dal-Tech wrote: Everyone else is trying to be cool, not me.
hey everybody : I'm a douche !
cbld
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by cbld »

Where do unofficial bootlegs get pressed at? Someone told me once that there is a unofficial "3rd Shift" at pressing plants where guys will come in and do a run of 300 when no one is there. I heard it happens in detroit alot
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Ps. Dal-tech do have any idea what you're talking about? have you ever had a business to yourself? Have you ever done a DBA yourself? Have you ever filed taxes under a business name? Are you cut and pasting a google search? Don't you live in Canada?

Your statement is completely false because Ive use my cell phone as part of a write off before. Plus ppl write off business dinners, gas milage, ect. Put a company magnet on the side if your car and you can write off car payments, insurance, and repairs. if you're trying to do something then it's not a tactic or a fake business. Those are very specific words that are based on complete assumption. Business or profitable business has nothing to do with being fake. all companies start from the ground up. There are cost of living and also a cost of doing business and yes you combine them within reason.

most businesses fail with the first two to three years, most businesses will show losses in the first three years due to re investing any profit you make back into your company. you can do it because it encourages people to try. When people succeed it creates jobs and stimulates the economy.

Pss. @ cbld
If you pay a pressing plant to press your records, I don't know that they cross reference music to make sure its not a bootleg. As long as your not doing 1000 runs and only perhaps 100-300 Id guess it would go under the radar....you're the one who's going to have the product in the end I have to deal with things later on (if) anyone ever made a fuss. in the end the pressing plant wants to make money for the service provided. pressing vinyl.
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

Cheaper wrote:Hello there

I want to start yet another hand-stamped white label run, which will become a label eventually.

I'm wondering if i have to register as a corporation or something.

Assuming you have a distribution deal already, and since it's underground house/techno music, does anyone care of how legal it is ?

Any tips ?

thanks
The answer is no. Starting a label is basically picking a name and paying someone to press some records for you. E-mailing distribs to see if anyone wants to distribute your release and if your music is really good and you can hustle then you'll make more self distributing. If you are not making money running a business then don't bother with an LLC, sole proprietor etc.

To be honest unless you plan to press a lot of vinyl then you will not make any money. You'll make more money selling stuff on Ebay and you don't need a business license to do that.

The bottom line is the music industry is the pits. Unless your sh!t is blowing up and you are getting gigs then it is just something cool to do. Hey I released a record, look at me type thing.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Dal-Tech wrote: then it is just something cool to do. Hey I released a record, look at me type thing.
was that how "sabstractrecords" was started? :green: god forbid if someone has passion to do something with their art..
have you pressed vinyl?
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

John Clees sorry if I struck a nerve but it's the entertainment business. Everybody wants to be a star, it don't matter who you are...
Yes, I have another record coming out. Will it make money? No. For me is it about art? 100% yes. Everyone else is trying to be cool, not me.
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

Dal-Tech you sound bitter.