Just bought a Macbook after promising myself to remain PC.

- open
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Just bought a Macbook after promising myself to remain PC.

Post by eggnchips »

I feel dirty now.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Just bought a Macbook after promising myself to remain P

Post by tone-def »

congratulations!
kivetros
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kivetros »

You're gonna love it, man... audio stuff always runs so much smoother on OSX.

Seriously, once you get used to some of the differences between Windows and OSX, it is a much smoother experience.
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

No need to feel dirty... maybe a sucker at worst but not dirty so much. The only thing to envy about macs are the software franchises they have bought up or created... mainly being Logic and Final Cut. I at one time worked as a video editor and I thought Final Cut was The best thing ever. That being said there are other softwares which are equal or better than those, and available across platforms so its not much of a thing.

I think we have reached a level of technical sophistication that any software which is not cross platform compatible is like that for a reason. That does not necessarily mean that it is the developers who are at fault, it's more that the OS developers do not want to accept standard conventions which would make the playing field equal. They want to preserve their niche markets because a niche market is willing to pay more for their goods then the average person. The funny thing is that a company like apple has developed their business in such a way that the majority of people are willing to pay niche prices for fairly regular products by industry standards. That is the real genius behind Apple.
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

As an afterthought... one thing that is good about choosing the apple platform is the amount of fantastic (commercial) AU plugins out there. I have a friend who is a huge mac guy and although I think its retarded overall I am wiling to admit that some of his AU plugins are unparallelled. Again though, you are submitting to vendor lock-in if you want these products so I can't support them. Free market and all that jazz...
kivetros
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kivetros »

About the closed platform and whatnot - from a purely ideological standpoint, I can't argue with that. Some of Apple's business practices are shady at best, and they may or may not be the most ethical company on the planet.

But here's the crux of the issue, at least for me. I'm a systems administrator (and reluctant software developer, as the situation demands). I work on computers 8 hours a day, 5-6 days a week. I also run a side business, doing consulting - PC repair, doing builds for people, etc etc etc. Call me a "bad hacker", I don't care - but when I get home from my job and sit down at my computer to work on music, the last thing I want to do is fiddle with, work on, fix, patch, upgrade, troubleshoot, or have to think about my computer's operation in any way, shape, or form.

Windows 7 is absolutely a much better Windows than has ever existed up until this point in time, and it's great at what it does... but for me, OSX is a much more seamless and reliable computing experience. As a guy who plays with Linux and OSX servers all day long, I absolutely cannot live without a robust command line interface (SSH is just the best). My secondhand, 3-year-old Macbook (not even a Pro!) with a Core 2 Duo at 2.1ghz per core and 2 GB RAM far outpaces my slightly higher-spec'd HP Windows 7 laptop for audio work (actually, for everything). It is one of the best purchases I've ever made.

So personally, having a sit-down-and-get-to-business machine that I don't have to noodle with is a godsend. I can absolutely see why some people strongly dislike (and even boycott) Apple products, but for me, OSX is definitely the best fit. Does this decision come at some cost to my personal code of ethics? Maybe, but I don't care. I just want to work on music, and I'm sure you all can relate.
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Toloache »

Im a graphic design student, and at school i have my personal postation with a mac desktop, not sure whats the model but i think it has +- 2 years.

Im a windows guy since Pentium2 and Win95. Personally, i cant stand macosx. I want My pc to be a good all rounder, and the diffusion of windows cant be beaten, there is so much software. Be it games, music or whatever, for me today beetween win7 and osx there isn't so much difference prestation wise.

Photoshop, indesign, illustrator flash e co ru equally smooth on mac at school (core 2 quad core) and on my i5 (laptop, low energy dual core).

Only things i envy at mac users where logic (not anymore since now im used to ableton workflow which is multi platform) and numerology. All other plugins i use, are clossplatform. Fabfilter and brainworks stuff, that are the plugin i use, have lovely sound quality and run also and windows.

Besides that there are the stability and virus free argument that mac fanboy use. Let me say my humble opinion: i dont use ativirusses and i never took a virus since win95 and 13 years old. If you are a medium intelligence user and dont donwload like there is no end, you dont take virus, simple as that. And win 7 stability is on par (no blue screens or crashes in two years, and i dont defragment often).

In the end, at the moment, for me it's a matter of using the platform you are most confortable with. There isn't all this difference!

However, the macbook isn't certainly a bad machine. But if i were me, i will have go for a high end Vaio, probably at the same price you could have bought a machine with a little more horsepower.

To prove my point:

Notebook VPC-SE2C - Re configured

Black

Your configuration
Intel®Core(TM)i7-2640M,2.8GHz
Windows® 7 Home Premium autentico
750 GB Serial ATA (5400 rpm)
AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6630M 1GB
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3-SDRAM
DVD Burner
39,5 cm LCD, 1920x1080+webcam+-
+ vaio wireless mouse
+vaio leather case

1.889,99 €

vs

macbook pro 17": 2,4 GHz
Intel Core i7
quad-core a 2,4GHz
4GB a 1333MHz
750GB a 5400 giri/min1
Intel HD Graphics 3000
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1GB GDDR5

€ 2.499,00

for me 600 euro, to have a less potent machine with a bigger screen isn't a good deal. I will have go with a vaio and spent the other 600 bucks in software or some other music things!
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i was using windows 7 last year for music production. lets just say i won't be making the same mistake again.