Just bought a Macbook after promising myself to remain PC.

- open
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Just bought a Macbook after promising myself to remain P

Post by patrick bateman »

john clees wrote: * on a side now, people hated window's vista when it came out, which was the beginning stages of window's 7. I still currently use a window's vista for my serato, have played 17 hour sets, took it to moscow for my live show, and it's not even a dual core, and I've never had a single issue with it. it's a 2007. the big different is that with the price of computers, in my opinion, you should use them for separate uses. I have one for the net, one for my studio, and another for my dj stuff.. keeping things separate and not using one machine for a all in one, I think truly has made a difference in how I view pc's now. ** never use your studio pc for the net. :)
exactly, that's the main point regarding windows machines... whereas on the os x machines this doesn't matter at all...
(at least that my experience in the windows vs osx debate)
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

then you have the advantages of Mac core audio and aggregated devices.
kivetros
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kivetros »

tone-def wrote:then you have the advantages of Mac core audio and aggregated devices.
Word. Core Audio is fantastic and makes a huge difference, if you're like me and are running a fairly old machine.

Horses for courses and all that... as long as you're making music, I suppose it doesn't matter.

john clees, I'm completely blown away that you have played 17 hour sets on a Vista machine... that just must be a testament to the quality of Serato's software. Vista's just... so bad. :?
dyte
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dyte »

I work in IT for a University and we run Windows 7 on around 800 student PCs, who's use ranges from basic internet browsing to computer games programming/art creation (this includes audio work too). No issues at all with it, including running it on P4's with 2GB of RAM (obviously this is in an area where high performance isn't required). It's stable, easy to use and support. We have a few Macs running 10.7 too and excluding an issue with the AD connections when it was 1st released it runs fine.

What you need to think about is what you're comfortable with using, no OS is the best, just what's best for you :).

If the additional cost of Apple hardware is worth it to you (for running OSX) then go for it, otherwise there's various vendors that will sell you a Windows 7 laptop with around the same spec for less.
kivetros
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kivetros »

dyte wrote:What you need to think about is what you're comfortable with using, no OS is the best, just what's best for you :).

If the additional cost of Apple hardware is worth it to you (for running OSX) then go for it, otherwise there's various vendors that will sell you a Windows 7 laptop with around the same spec for less.
Precisely.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I have to use Windows 7 at work and it's not that bad. I prefer OSX overall, but have no major problems with 7. I'm curious to take a stab at Windows 8.

What I really dislike about Win7 is how they makes things harder by trying to make them easier. The control panel has so many sub-categories in such an illogical fashion, it makes tracking things down a pain in the ass. OSX's system preferences is 1000x easier to use and what they guys at Microsoft need to model the control panel after. Hell XP's control panel is leaps and bounds better than 7.

On a strictly nerd level, XCode is the best development environment out there hands down. Better than Eclipse and Visual Studio by a mile. Not having to worry about a million different hardware variables is so awesome.
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

All can I say on this topic is that I went from XP to OSX five or six years ago, and im not looking back. I was shocked at how easily things go in the mac: installs, configurations, searches, no constant driver installs/upgrades, super easy internet configuration, etc.

As some say maybe with the new windows 7 the things are more even now, but as I got used to the mac I hardly go back. Oh, and things are more pretty on the mac, you cant deny that :lol:
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

all I can say is that for a 1200 euro MacBookPro, it sucks donkeyballs that you have only 2 USB ports while you are stuck with those utterly useless Firewire800 and Thunderbolt ports. Grr etc.