How much energy does it take to produce a vinyl record?

- open
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

How much energy does it take to produce a vinyl record?

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

I was wondering how much energy it takes to produce a vinyl record. I did some superficial googling and came up with no solid numbers. I figure with the number of vinyl aficionados on this forum someone has probably looked into this before me. So if anyone can shed some light please let me know because I am curious. One of the reasons I no longer buy vinyl is due my perception that it must take a lot of energy and resources to create the master copies, melt the vinyl, press it, ship it in a printed sleeve, then ship it to wherever it may go in the world.

I would like to know how much that costs in comparison to the energy demands to run 24/7 digital delivery service...

Just curious...
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: How much energy does it take to produce a vinyl record?

Post by Themis »

i guess it does not cost more than any other similiar plastic product.. there are many PVC products
PVC production is expected to exceed 40 million tonnes by 2016.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinyl_chloride

what you have to count also is, a vinyl record is pressed one time, a digital file is online and downloadable 10 years or longer :)
Michael^Heaven
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re:

Post by Michael^Heaven »

^Unless it's hosted by Megaupload. -squint
"So knives out
Cook him up
Squash his head
Put him in the pot "-jz
Del
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: How much energy does it take to produce a vinyl record?

Post by Del »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:I was wondering how much energy it takes to produce a vinyl record. I did some superficial googling and came up with no solid numbers. I figure with the number of vinyl aficionados on this forum someone has probably looked into this before me. So if anyone can shed some light please let me know because I am curious. One of the reasons I no longer buy vinyl is due my perception that it must take a lot of energy and resources to create the master copies, melt the vinyl, press it, ship it in a printed sleeve, then ship it to wherever it may go in the world.

I would like to know how much that costs in comparison to the energy demands to run 24/7 digital delivery service...

Just curious...
Dude, just buy the vinyl and support the artists and labels that put their energy and time into making the music available. The Universe and its resources will look after itself. Unless the pay off you get from the justification of being 'globally conscious' outweighs the satisfaction of dropping the needle on the groove.