What's happened here?

- open
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: What's happened here?

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

To crazygoat,

I went though a similar thing with the music. I got into electronic music around 1996-1997 and I was mesmerized by the amazing variety of sounds to be experienced. I found it so much more interesting then just your plain old lead guitar, bass and drums kind of music. Pop culture was also kind of grungy at the time and I was never much into that sort of thing so electronic was a welcomed escape. One of the things that I liked was the culture of the music, it was somehow laid back, yet positive and energetic. Crazy parties going on too. Not to be all nostalgic but I have never experienced parties like that since those years.

I was much like you except that we didn't have tractor yet, just turntables and a mixer. I started buying records and became a little obsessive. I discovered the minimal techno section and instantly became hooked. Not many people seemed to like the music though. It was often described as too mellow or 'not party music'.

I had moved out west to the other side of the continent in 2001 and met few people who were into the music and I had a hard time getting anyone interested in it to be honest. It was a different sort of culture. When I moved to my new city there were two record shops but one closed down within a year and the other didn't have any records that I liked, in fact pretty much zero minimal. The guy who ran the shop was really into hard acid techno which is ok but not my bag you know.

By 2003 I had pretty much given up on minimal music. I felt like it was dead. No parties, no access to records. I just said to hell with all this and I put electronic music behind me. I would say that this sonic abstinence lasted about 4 years (2007 I suppose) then I decided to start poking though my records one day. I pulled a deck out of the basement and hooked up my mixer and started listening to some records and next thing you know it was like falling in love all over again. Then I discovered netlabels which was just fantastic. I don't think such a thing existed way back when. The advent of the digital delivery of music is one of the best things I think have ever happened, it opens up so much that was previously unavailable. If that annoys dj elitist types who want a record nobody else can get then I just have to say go fck yourself and I hope you can't sleep at night because of it. :D For me the only thing I miss about records was actually going to the record shop and meeting interesting people who were into similar stuff. You can't get that from Beatport.

Rediscovering the music greatly increased my appreciation for whats out there. I had pretty much ignored anything to do with electronic music so I was very much surprised to find that minimal had blow up so much. To be honest though... the sound that had blown up was not really all that minimal to me. In fact I can't really say that I much cared for it. It was kind of a lifeless, empty sound. That minus style. Often imitated, often duplicated. Not that I don't like minus per-se. I was smitten with minus back in the late 90's. I couldn't get enough of the kinds of records Theorem, Swayzak, Stewart Walker and Sutekh were putting out. Just fantastic. Loved those Theorem VS whoever tracks. I think its weird that the newer sounds of minus became so popular when you consider how much better the older releases are. Seems weird to me. I can't even listen anything from minus that is post 2003. Just terrible stuff.

Anyways, I think that maybe you just need a hiatus. Take some time away, not just a few days but more like a few months. Don't listen to electronic for six months and then see how you feel. I bet you will be itching to get back. Just don't be crazy like me and take 4 years off.
Hutch wrote:One thing that I've learned is that minimal is definitely not a genre. It's a style. And there are 100's of genres with minimal ascetics.
Excellent point. Minimal as a genre is is not all that good and I think minus is much to blame for this. Most 'minimal' that I hear sounds like a (modern) minus mimic. They have defined a genre with a sh!t sound and now people think that is minimal. You can't blame people for being negative about it but you can blame all the crap producers who are jumping on the bandwagon and putting this stuff out. Even worse are the people buying it.
hairblz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hairblz »

Crazygoat wrote: Is it just me, or are artists not making an effort anymore?
Aye, definitely just you.

I guess you just aren't in love with the music as much as some of us.

;)

Jokes aside, if I were you I would just stop following new music for a while. Whenever I feel bored of a sound (eg. minimal), I leave it a couple of months, then go back for a browse on beatport & decks.de, there's always a buildup of nice tracks waiting for me.

That's what I really can't stand about playing in clubs often (even as little as once per month is too much) - if I get bored of exploring a type of sound, tough sh!t, I have a three hour set to prepare for.
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by . »

Crazygoat wrote:I don't know where to start with this.

In 2007 at some point I discovered techno. I started exploring it, and it was a matter of time before I bumped into some minimal stuff.

I kept on exploring and exploring, until minimal became my passion. Artists, labels, www.discogs.com, I wanted to know everything. I found myself spending more and more money on wavs and mp3s, CDs, parties and t-shirts from niche labels. I started playing with VirtualDJ, and LOVED THIS sh!t. It was going to be my life, I thought.

Hours and hours and hours were spent listening to electronic music

I got Xone:2D and Traktor, started mixing more seriously, that was my hobby. I would actually make 2-hour long mixes and record them, just for the fck of it.

Minimal techno parties were like heaven to me, and never took drugs either. I could just dance for hours straight. I cannot put into words my addiction to electronic music. I would send tracks to friends and tell them: CHECK THIS sh!t OUT, IT'S AWESOME.

Every day I thought about techno, and listened to it.

Until at some point, last year, I just started feeling empty about it. I practically stopped buying music. I haven't made a proper mix in months. I would browse beatport and feel like I'm hearing the SAME sh!t ALL OVER.

Gaiser started to bore me, and every mthrfckr out there sounded like a copy of a copy of a copy of himself. Marco Carola being the king of that, and the epitome of this being his piece of sh!t release (if you can call it that) "Play it Loud!". It's like a troll release for April's fool.

Is it just me, or are artists not making an effort anymore? My enthusiasm about the scene stagnated and now dropped. Everyone seems to be taking the piss, and I cannot believe the amount of ideas being done, and re-done, and re-done.

Minimal's fcking dead. No wonder brostep is doing so well at the moment. People are looking for something different. I never thought I would say that either. I was one of those people critisizing anyone being negative about minimal, but now I can see it. I can feel it. It's gone done the fcking sewer.
Consider yourself blessed, somehow you are beating the system. We are here for evolving, you're just flowing with nature (as many this days).

What happened here is that your ability to subjectivise has subtilized its perception, and all the feelings this music made you felt now are gone. This is, maybe, due to a conscious and intense intellectual activity employed in your listening process, the way you subjective, in this case, music. This is the effect art has, or should have, in our intellect.

Why do I think you are beating the system? Because this fucker doesn't want you to evolve, this way it can controls you, this way a few control a many and, sadly, this, today, needs to happen, because the many lack of the knowledge they need to auto-control them self; but this ain't the topic today...

Duality, everything got two faces: good -bad, positive - negative, etc. To make it even clearer, let's say we have a Tiesto in one hand, and a, hmm, Taylor Deupree on the other one.

Yes, almost the same, and worst... Maybe there was a bit of truth at the beginings of trance, or maybe it's been later than the intentions of propaganda were clarified and defined in order to get something in change through this side of music, wich is exactly the same that began to happen with this side of minimal since some time. The thing is: in this two songs I posted above, there is not an evolution except the one provided by an advance in the compositional methods, wich is, mostly, leaded by technology. But technicism ain't important, not in this case (because yes, it helps objectivity to make it self more defined, more precise): it doesn't make our psychology more subtle, because the evolution ain't in the artist, but in the tools he uses.

Taylor's hand.

The man was even above from where many are today... Where is the duality here? In Tiesto's hand we have staticity, no evolution. And what is the opposite of staticity? Movement, intellectual movement in this case. Some evolve fast, some evolve slowly; some stay quiet all life... Most go slow, while the minority, who got a knowledge, has the chance to go faster, truthless or not, conscious or not, and hell of a topic... But hey, you ain't here to feel your self superior. Is the negative side of ego who feels this, and a really superior being is not controled by this side.

Our existence is triple. We have a body, a mind and a soul. Body is rude, crude, static, we can see it, while, in comparison with this, soul is sutil, delicated. Mind has levels, and this are also in a scale, from rude and crude to sutil and delicated. Everything vibrates in this universe, wich means thoughts also vibrate, wich means this are also on a scale. The roll of the artists should be to uplift those who are below them, make their thoughts more "heavenly". And we should be less and less instinctive (animals) and more and more intuitive (humans). Seeing things this way, future is always gonna be abstract, subtle, as the deeper states of mind. And there is no goal.

Now, take care about evolving faster. Evolve your mind (higher cakras) but don't forget your body (lower cakras), or schizophrenia or something like will caught you up, and it won't be heavenly. All you need to do to keep feeling what you felt (and it won't be the same, but deeper) is to find artists that vibrate the way you do now, maybe outside this minimal techno scene, maybe outside music. Just follow your intuition.
. wrote:This is the end

, and a beginning. :)
Hi.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

This has to be the best post on this forum ever. :)
Thanks.

Recently I've found bliss in stuff like:
http://www.discogs.com/Barry-Schrader-L ... ase/387779
http://www.discogs.com/Various-OHM-The- ... ter/110524
Point being don't consume the sh!t people push on and on under the minimal name. I'ts everything else but.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by . »

WOW, thanks for that. :D

Please, note that this is only a mere widespread resume of something intensively profound and, even though personal conclusions can be taken and, more than conclusions, it's something everyone is able to see, don't stay with my word: research by your own.

Truth is only one, and this is full of consequences.
Hi.
loopdon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by loopdon »

go back in time. it's all there. make what you think is missing.
get and play vinyl. -urk
loopdon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by loopdon »

Robot Criminal wrote:This has to be the best post on this forum ever. :)
Thanks.

Recently I've found bliss in stuff like:
http://www.discogs.com/Barry-Schrader-L ... ase/387779
http://www.discogs.com/Various-OHM-The- ... ter/110524
Point being don't consume the sh!t people push on and on under the minimal name. I'ts everything else but.
Unbelievable stuff, right dure.
Thanks, man.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

The techno known as minimial techno is dead. Minimilmist style techno is far from dead. I tune in weekly to the CLR podcast to keep up to date with what's going on out there. It's a great time for techno!