What's happened here?

- open
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: What's happened here?

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

Electronic dance music isn't dead, maybe minimal is but then again it was never about that. Dont get me wrong theres great stuff labeled minimaltechno but it's just a name for what alot of people were doing and exploring for a while then it moves on. Now theres been a boom in slowhouse soulfull stuff and soon well have some kind of countermovement to that. This is the way it will hopefully will always be stuff coming and going artists either jumping on the new big thing or deciding not to. It's in a way a symptom of a musicalscene that is actually alive.

And thats why stuff like this track can come from nowhere and blow your mind.
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

If you ever feel burn out I suggest you starting to listening non related electronic music: jazz, classical, world music, choir music, etc. This is very rewarding to your ears and your horizons will expand. For the last half year I'm only listening to the music and mixes from a handful of artists and labels. Something is wrong when after several months from not listening to a single clip on juno or decks you hear from 9 to 10 random artists the same music over and over.

I also think this comes down to personality of each own. If you are that kind of person that is always trying to find and discover new sounds, weird stuff, finding the unexpected, etc. it will come to a point that you will get frustrated because it becomes more and more difficult to find that "what the fck" record.
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

When I get burnt out, I listen to acoustic folk stuff. One voice, one guitar.
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

Unfortunaelty a lot of dance music is a fad and a lot of people are not in it for the long haul. It's not uncommon that a person will become a bit jaded or burned out if not stuck in a particular era. But too each their own, if you get tired of minimal which is pretty much yeasterday's news then that's understandable. I can't say I'm a minimal fanatic but understand there will always be good minimal art and music. Just like there will always be good modern art or abstract art. If you're not feeling it anymore then you're not feeling it.
Dal-Tech wrote: Everyone else is trying to be cool, not me.
hey everybody : I'm a douche !
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

there's still good stuff around, even in what you might have called minimal a few years back. items & things is one of my favo labels at the moment. They still sound like the minimal stuff from a while back, yet new enough to keep it fresh.
Actually, since mid-february, I don't think I've bought so many records in a long time. And that's not even counting the many vinyl-only things I've picked up in the past few weeks from Phonica, Music Mania or Rush hour.
junger
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by junger »

loictambay wrote:in defense to Minus artists, they did help push the sound that was so "in" a few years back...now thats its not "in" anymore means they're not being creative anymore? bullocks. Just saw Hearthrob this weekend and dude is definitely still on top of his game. I know a lot of people will talk sh!t about this (since jealous people just love to talk sh!t about what's popular) but he's releasing tracks on Culprit soon...his whole live set changed to fit this sound but I gotta say it sounded good! Sexier, funkier, fun, but still Heartthroby...I'm sure a lot of people will hate but me likey
man i was never really much a minus fan but except for a couple of troy & magda sets. but jesse heartthrob is and was always one of my favourite artists in this scene ! im really really curious about his new stuff on culprit.. his album on minus is one of my favourite albums.