Discussion – Harmonic Mixing.

- open
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Discussion – Harmonic Mixing.

Post by shypht »

Harmonic Mixing is just another tool in your box. How and when you use it is up to you.

Some times, mixing sounds that sound wrong together end up sounding right, and harmonic mixing wont help much there. Other times, Harmonic Mixing might open your ears up to new possibilities that you didn't previously consider.
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

spage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by spage »

Hi matey, yeah I posted on there too, this forum seems to be pretty quiet of late. Used to get a lot more threads being started and replies, but appears to not be the the case recently.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

i looked into it and the problem is, its another "helping" tool for the forward looking digital DJs.
Of course you can find tracks that blend perfectly into each other, no doubt about that.

you want to create a perfect mix cd, so i guess you will sync up the tracks, and then you play only tracks that tracktor says, cause they are in the same key.

no doubt you get a good mix, but 70% of that mix was only possible cause of software.
can you do it at a party again, if someone books you?

definitly not !

and this would be a problem for me, cause i would feel like a fake kind of.

but i guess you can accumulate some facebook likes, or re-tweets or soundcloud comments from random strangers around the world, and maybe feel a liittle special ..
another reason for doing something like that doesnt come to mind.
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

I did this a while back but I found that it limited my track choices almost being confined into a set way of setting up tracks. Fair play if people want to do it. I hardly ever plan my sets I have like kind of an idea but I like to look at the audience rather than a wheel - that CD it HM becomes more relevant with a mix CD as the OP did say.

I'd rather be spontaneous - I have enough organisation and structure in my day job!
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

To be honest I find it harder to find tunes that don't sound right together. It does happen but I can usually tell when I'm cueing the track up. If its clashing I'll just pull another record out of the bag.

The other thing is the music we play on this board is often pretty basic in harmonics. Some tracks are just percussion and will mix well with anything.
hairblz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hairblz »

I had a look at Marco Carola's Fabric cd, and Seth Troxler's Lab mix cd.

Both contain harmonic mixing and non-harmonic mixing.
Michael^Heaven
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re:

Post by Michael^Heaven »

@spage

I can't speak for digital but for mixing vinyl, I've found that keeping it simple is key. The amount of time that you're spending on this seems like a waste when you could just practice using basic ear reception & the 'feeling' of each track & how they do or do not blend, in general, in relation to the overall set that you're trying to create.

-my 2 pennies-
"So knives out
Cook him up
Squash his head
Put him in the pot "-jz