Megaupload takedown / the real backrounds

- open
fir3
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Megaupload takedown / the real backrounds

Post by fir3 »

“The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.” - Eric Schmidt

Is the Internet a good thing? Of course.
Is the Internet heading in a direction that promotes even more free access to knowledge, thus creating more problem-solvers, rather than more soldiers? Yes.

It's really great to read some sensible, well-argumented comments from people that can see more than a year away [and this includes all of you, regardless on your position on the copyright issue] :idea:

Trying to control the Internet and policing it will turn it into something that it wasn't, isn't and [hopefully] never will be.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

the internet, free knowlege, free speech are all good things i think everyone agrees on that but on a certain level every person should be held responsible for their actions.

there should definitly be platforms and ways, to share anonymously opinions and also maybe files. but these platforms have to be kind of moderated, so that no one abuses this anonymity.

a civilised society can only exist, if people can be held responsible for their actions. you can see that in mexico right now, how a society looks like if not. so we should try to avoid that internet is a lawless place
fir3
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by fir3 »

I would be against public indy music/films/software sharing platforms, for copyrighted materials.

For the big studios movies I see a possible solution just as there is now for software: you can get a free trial [30 days or some form of limitation] and then, if you decide you really like it and have a future use for it, you can go ahead and buy it. Paying 15 euros for a piece of sh!t movie that you would later go on and regret you acquired is an inefficient system, don't you think?

I'm not condemning nor condoning piracy, but I strongly believe that those who do want to see a movie that they don't have the money to begin with, will do so, regardless of the legislation in place. And this happened long before the Internet brought this [as Themis pointed out: Betamax, VHS tapes, Cassette tapes, CDs, DVDs, BluRays - should all of these been illegal just because of the risk of copyright infringement?]

P.S.: Themis, no, I don't believe that enforcing something on people [a.k.a. FEAR and SCAREMONGERING] will make them more civilized. I believe that education and consciousness regarding their actions does. Please don't bring the Mexico argument up, it's a totally different subject and very sad what's happening over there.
hairblz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hairblz »

"Hey corporation, I don't care how much you spent developing this software, filming this move, recording this album, I think it is worth zero dollars and I'm sharing it with the world for that price and putting ads on my site. Now stay out of my life."
Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:ps. Personally I think that there should be a new kind of copyright that allows for public DJing performances.
I may be wrong here, but I think clubs do pay music licensing. Similar to a TV licence. Or the license you buy for the right to play music in your shop. I think that it doesn't pay the artist every time their track gets played, instead just spreads the money amongst all the artists signed to the collection society.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

hairblz wrote:
Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:ps. Personally I think that there should be a new kind of copyright that allows for public DJing performances.
I may be wrong here, but I think clubs do pay music licensing. Similar to a TV licence. Or the license you buy for the right to play music in your shop. I think that it doesn't pay the artist every time their track gets played, instead just spreads the money amongst all the artists signed to the collection society.
yep, clubs pay royalties for the music played at the club. Not per track name, but a general fee.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Themis wrote:internet shouldnt be a "free zone" where you can do all you want, but its a bit too much to control every step of every internet user only to avoid copyright infringement.

i mean we also dont have cameras everywhere in the street, and in the homes. or on every corner a police man. and those crimes we could avoid with that are way worse than copyright infringement.

think about it.

there has to be another way.

actually its a pretty good thing now, share provider will now check the files they host cause they are responsible.

but this whole ACTA thing and EU data retention projects .... this is bullshit.
I can see we're on the same page here :)
Agreed to all of the above.
fir3
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by fir3 »

hairblz, if by your last post, with the "hey corporations" monologue, you were referring to my last post, please read again.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I think it just takes a bit of common sense with all this. Ripping off music, movies, video games & software is a crime. The amount of hours and money that go into making a video game is astounding. People seem to lack a moral compass with digital products for some reason. Dj's that steal techno and house should be cracked in the face with a shovel. In such a niche scene, you gotta be a real twat to steal this stuff.

As far as posting dj sets, I don't see a problem with it. It almost sounds nuts to think that way, but I feel like if I bought the tune I did my part. Plus the track is mixed in and out, so your not posting up the whole tune. I'm saying this from a producer's point of view as well.

I think everyone agrees that Hollywood or whoever shouldn't get a golden ticket to axe any site they want that has a snippet of a tune or a picture of an album or whatever. But, sites that blatantly exist to pirate material should be taken down and possibly prosecuted. That has nothing to do with freedom of speech at all.