I ask a question. What is the most hedonistic of tracks fo..

- open
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: I ask a question. What is the most hedonistic of tracks

Post by New Guy »

^^ I have that Basement Jaxx album too, remedy its called. It really is great and does bring back some good memories from the times when I was spinning at house parties :)
My favorite from the album was Eu Nao, Samba Magick at close second and Rendez Vous the third.
The whole album had a very feel good vibe to it.

aut.t.n
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by aut.t.n »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:I am a sucker for any blend of calypso, disco and house as long as its not too cheese.
You have some good calypso recommendations? Recently I saw a really funny amateur punky band performing some sh.t along these lines and really digged it. Good for dancing and having fun. Would be grateful for some tips!
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

aut.t.n wrote:
Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:I am a sucker for any blend of calypso, disco and house as long as its not too cheese.
You have some good calypso recommendations? Recently I saw a really funny amateur punky band performing some sh.t along these lines and really digged it. Good for dancing and having fun. Would be grateful for some tips!
Sorry, I would like to be able to hook you up with some hot tips as to top notch productions but to be honest I tend to enjoy the feel of the music more-so than the actual genre. Calypso is the kind of thing that I always stop to enjoy when I hear it rather than something I collect per se. If I am at the Caribana Festival or some multicultural event and I hear it I will hang out to listen but its not something I really seek out on its own in my spare time. I like house infused with such qualities but I struggle to name anything specifically off the top of my head, but when I hear it I love it. Calypso seems to me like a music a that is improvisational and to truly appreciated it you have to be there live.

Maybe you should start a calypso thread! I would definitely keep an eye on that.

On kind of an off note... I have been thinking of delving into bossa nova these days. There is just something kind of cool and sensual about it. Any good tips about that I would appreciate.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

Definitely check out A.C. Jobim, Astrud Gilberto, Stan Getz, Gal Costa, Baden Powell, and Charlie Bird.
I would say these are the giants of the genre, from here you can delve deeper and discover some more great artists and songs.

This has to be one of my favorite bossa nova tracks:

Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

Thanks for the tips :) ...

I have liked the idea of bossa nova since I was young very young. I somehow got a bossa nova CD when I was just a kid, ironically The Girl from Ipanema was on it except that it was in Spanish... which was not covered here... Over the years I listened to that style of music wherever I had the chance but to be honest it was not that often. As an adult I had a friend who worked in South America and in particular Brazil for some time. After he came back he was always trying to convince me of the extreme pleasures I was missing out on by not going there... He would put his fore and middle fingers against this thumb and wiggle them back and forth like a Lebanese guy trying to sell you a life story and do his best to convince you about the magical intermingling of Japanese, black and Spanish genes to be discovered within Brazilian women. It started to drive me nuts (irritated) after a while but over time the idea has grow on me. Perhaps because of my love of jazz and its intermingling with bossa nova.... a natural extension perhaps... I can't say because its just too fluid and interesting to put a finger on... just like life.

In the preceding paragraph I am kind of giving a brief synopsis of my experience with this kind of music but I hope it conveys my general feelings about it.

By the way... FYI, I was surprised to find out that Brazil is home to the largest Japanese Diaspora outside of Japanese territory in the world. I had no idea! No wonder there are so many hot women in Brazil :D

EDIT: wait a minute... I am talking about The Girl From Ipanema again... I think had my threads mixed up when I wrote that... must have a wire crossed somewhere
aut.t.n
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by aut.t.n »

Just stumbled upon this and thought this might match the topic pretty well...

blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

This.

I really can get very deep into it.