Vinyl only?

- open
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Vinyl only?

Post by ::BLM:: »

few clubs i have been playing in lately have just had a vinyl set up.
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

breton wrote:
ray parry wrote:is there anyone here that thinks they are cool because they play vinyl?
man i hate that sh!t... all over my facebook you have people taking pictures of their vinyl. why would anyone do that other then to show off how cool they are? real vinyl fans dont say sh!t, we just continue to buy the music we love on the format we love since the start.
How is that a bad thing, Mr.Profiteer?
In my opinion more people should think that playing vinyl is cool. The whole industry will benefit from it.
More people playing vinyl means more records being pressed. More people playing vinyl means more turntables being produced. More people playing vinyl means more record stores will remain in business.
It seems to me that it only pisses you off because you think you are special, "a real vinyl fan"... Ease up, man. Let people celebrate the magic that is a vinyl record in their own way. And if it makes them feel cool, hip... whatever... good for them.

sounds like you also need to ease up. you can’t call me a profiteer when I never set out to make a profit. I am infact at a loss at the moment anyway, because I have a record I don’t like. not quite sure what your problem is? I bought a record on the off chance that I might like it, I don’t so I’m selling it. Are you just pissed because you missed out? I haven’t done anything illegal. I’m well within my rights to sell something I no longer want. funny thing is I would have lowered the price, but its people like you that make me want to stand my ground because you're giving me a hard time.

People taking pictures of their vinyl collections or new purchases doesn’t mean they are new fans does it? Doesn’t mean to say they are going to go out and buy a new turntable or whatever. Why are you assuming its new fans? I just don’t get that sudden fascination with doing it that’s all. It’s the same with studio pics. Now fair enough if you are a pro or whatever and you have a ton of gear (see skudge's facebook) or people have an actual interest then cool, but if you're just some fame hungry fella that just wants some attention then I don’t get it.
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by breton »

I don't know why i post it here, but it's a really nice quote and i thought i'd share it with you guys. I want to give Steffi a puppy or a baby opossum for being so real, even though i don't really like her style...

Little White Dude: That’s funny, actually. I was chatting to my Mom the other day and complaining about the cost of records. I said something like, “God, $16 and you get three songs, or whatever,” and she goes, “Don’t you realize that when I was your age, records still cost $16 or $20?” And this was back in the 60s and 70s. She still bought them, of course. Whereas now, because we have digital to compare it to, we look at it and we’re like, “No, I don’t want to pay that.”

Steffi: And that’s exactly where you hit the nail on the head, because it’s a mentality question. People, say, “I play CDs; I have no money for vinyl.” And that’s a lack of devotion, because back in the day, when I started to collect records, all my money went straight to the record shop. And the joy of having your paycheck, and it’s Friday and the new records are in. You go straight to the record shop, and you’re nervous halfway there, and you’re like, “I don’t know what I’m going to get, but I’m so excited to get some records.” Week in, week out, you know? I said to some people the other day, it would be a tragedy for me if I had to let go of that excitement; going to the record shop.

If I feel bad, I just go record shopping because I know I’ll find something that will cheer me up. You know, it’s that whole thing that people just don’t want to do anything for it. “No, I’ll just buy it on Beatport. It’s so expensive.” That’s how you build up your passion. Invest all your money to make something, you know, make it happen for yourself. That’s — your mother is so right. It’s absolutely — that’s what it is about. You have to make the money to be able to afford the music that you’re going to play. Now it’s just about digesting. If you press a record, you’ve got three weeks to sell as much as possible, and then it’s all over. Nobody cares about it anyway. Like: “Oh yeah, I missed that one.”

... and yes, i just necro'd this thread.

Joshua Joy
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Joshua Joy »

breton wrote:
ray parry wrote:is there anyone here that thinks they are cool because they play vinyl?
man i hate that sh!t... all over my facebook you have people taking pictures of their vinyl. why would anyone do that other then to show off how cool they are? real vinyl fans dont say sh!t, we just continue to buy the music we love on the format we love since the start.
How is that a bad thing, Mr.Profiteer?
In my opinion more people should think that playing vinyl is cool. The whole industry will benefit from it.
More people playing vinyl means more records being pressed. More people playing vinyl means more turntables being produced. More people playing vinyl means more record stores will remain in business.
It seems to me that it only pisses you off because you think you are special, "a real vinyl fan"... Ease up, man. Let people celebrate the magic that is a vinyl record in their own way. And if it makes them feel cool, hip... whatever... good for them.

interesting conversation here. love that response :D

i think even though it might be hip in some circles not enough people support the vinyl industry at the moment. the scene is so big right now and there are so many parties every weekend all over the world, which means a lot of people are involved in the scene. so actually 500-1000 records shouldn't be that much to sell, but it is nowadays.

but what i really can't understand is that there are so many producers/dj's around who want to release on vinyl and not "just" digital, but at the same time they don't buy vinyl and they don't play vinyl. It's still the medium of the scene. If you wanna get attention your stuff has to be on vinyl. But how can i expect my tracks to be on vinyl and sell alright if i don't buy music from other people on vinyl?
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

to sell 2000 and more you would have to start a vinyl trend in non-DJ circles, and i dont see that happen :)

the new vinyl trend is simply cause many DJs go back to vinyl. But the growth has an end cause the normal casual non-DJs will never get back to vinyl.
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

Joshua Joy wrote: but what i really can't understand is that there are so many producers/dj's around who want to release on vinyl and not "just" digital, but at the same time they don't buy vinyl and they don't play vinyl. It's still the medium of the scene. If you wanna get attention your stuff has to be on vinyl. But how can i expect my tracks to be on vinyl and sell alright if i don't buy music from other people on vinyl?
It's the same with every area of music right now. For example, people want you to listen to and comment on their Soundcloud tracks, yet they don't listen to or comment other people's tracks. Instead of give and take, people just want to take.

We live in the age of great individualism, but a side effect of that is the age of great selfism.

And I'm guilty as charged too, I rarely comment on other people's tracks on Soundcloud.
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by breton »

Themis wrote:the normal casual non-DJs will never get back to vinyl.
Well, that is true. But they shouldn't have owned the turntables in the first place, they just didn't have a choice back in the day.
Nowadays, they have a choice. Mp3 for the casual listener, Dj software (and this) for those of djs who, as Steffi says, lack devotion.
I don't know how many years the vinyl has left, but what i do know is that there will always be people willing to invest their time & money into it. Though i'm not sure if that is enough to keep it alive and kicking.

Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

vinyl will never die of course, even if the club has no turntables i bring them on my own :D