Hearing loss... any good news?

- open
ms500
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Hearing loss... any good news?

Post by ms500 »

Apologies in advance for another depressing hearing loss thread...

I'm 23 and I decided that I was going to be a producer/DJ when I was about 15 and it has been the passion of my life since almost to the point of complete obsession. But over the years the music has taken its toll and now I have mild tinnitus in my left ear, bad tinnitus in my right ear and a 50db drop at 1khz in my right ear. For about 3-4 years now I have started to wear earplugs religiously and nowadays I try to be very careful with my ears.

I am constantly on a wave of depression, I go through times when it doesn't bother me and times when its all I think about 24 hours a day. It is driving me mad to be honest but there is no way that I am going to stop doing what I love until it is literally impossible for me to carry on so basically I'm stuck with it.

So what I'm am looking for someone who can give me some hope for the future because all I hear when I look on the internet is stories about how important it is to protect your hearing coupled with horror stories.

So if anyone has any positive news/experiences about hearing loss, please let me know.

Again apologies for the depressing post.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

search for thread on hyperacusis in this forum and on internet.

it's possible that the issue can be a psychological one. That people who enjoy music/work with music, can be very sensitive about hearing, and worry a lot about it. This worrying can make the problem stronger through stress.

Also, there is a kind of psychoacoustic thing, that the more that you think about tinnitus, the more you tell your brain to 'listen' to the tinnitus.

There has been research recently that has shown that tinnitus is actually completely inside the brain, and not in the ear cells, which helps to back up these theories. [I posted a thread in producing forum but can't remember the title.]
ms500
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ms500 »

oblioblioblio wrote: it's possible that the issue can be a psychological one. That people who enjoy music/work with music, can be very sensitive about hearing, and worry a lot about it. This worrying can make the problem stronger through stress.

Also, there is a kind of psychoacoustic thing, that the more that you think about tinnitus, the more you tell your brain to 'listen' to the tinnitus.
Yea I would agree with this because when I'm not feeling depressed about it, the tinnitus does seem to be a lot quieter. But it's catch 22 isn't it because when you are at your lowest, it is worse and it can be hard to pull yourself out of it again.
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

ditch the earplugs! it is totally on a psychological basis, and the earplugs add to it massive, beacuse it gets the brain/ears used to quieter levels, and then normal noises appear louder.

walking outside in nature helps too, but seriously - NO EARPLUGS!!!
ms500
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ms500 »

s.k. wrote:ditch the earplugs! it is totally on a psychological basis, and the earplugs add to it massive, beacuse it gets the brain/ears used to quieter levels, and then normal noises appear louder.

walking outside in nature helps too, but seriously - NO EARPLUGS!!!
I only wear earplugs when I play out and go to clubs and to be honest if I didn't my ears would probably be a hell of a lot worse than what they are now so I can't say I agree with you on this one.
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

i think its a bit of both to be fair....

loud sounds surely must damage your ears...

but also your own brain can exacerbate the problems...

and when you pick up on it its like a downward spiral as you concentrate on it more...

however i don't really know the science behind so can't really comment fully on it..

earplugs have helped me i reckon.. going out raving every weekend has defo taken its toll and i reckon the earplugs have help to stop it from progressing any further or at least slowed it right down... i defo don't get that intense ringing straight after clubbing... and i haven't had intense ringing in my ears the next day for quite a while now.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

here you go sam

http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26992

this will make you feel better. from last summer to about march i was really aware of my tinnitus but i've leant to ignore it and i never really notice it anymore. even talking about it now isn't a problem. 6 months ago a thread like this would have drove me nuts because it would make me listen to the tinnitus.

your doing all you can to protect your ears so chill out and think about something else.