41%
Concorde Nightclub E
59%

Total votes: 27

cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

for the longest time all i ever used were stanton 680hp carts. then stanton changed the design of the needles to these lamefuck futuristic looking things, and i had a lot of problems with the "wings" on these dumb things dragging on my vinyl and tracking poorly.

now all i use are shure whitelabels. they might be a little harsh on the wax, but they sound great.

i used to be huge in to ortofon dj-s', too, but those things eat your records up like no tomorrow, and ortofon's historically have terrible contact points and you keep seeing people licking them.
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

I use Whitelabels. Thing to be aware of when buying Ortofons, like Element8 said, is they are not spherical stylii they're elliptical, which means they'll eat up your records faster.
pre-amp tango
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pre-amp tango »

i use audio technica at-95e - low volume, tracking is not too good, but they sound just great and warm.
used to have ortofon bananas but as said - they eat your records.
pizzamon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pizzamon »

I'm in on this one, good thread. I use the trackmasters as well. It's what I grew up using, and They have the advantage of not loosing frequencies when they heat up. The trackmasters are probably the best sounding headshells and styli ever made, and the older ones are better than the newer ones. The problems with the trackmasters is that when they are new, or when you replace your styluses, they tend to ride all over your records for a while until you "break them in". In other words, the more you use them the better they work.
pizzamon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pizzamon »

pizzamon wrote:I'm in on this one, good thread. I use the trackmasters as well. It's what I grew up using, and They have the advantage of not loosing frequencies when they heat up. The trackmasters are probably the best sounding headshells and styli ever made, and the older ones are better than the newer ones. The problems with the trackmasters is that when they are new, or when you replace your styluses, they tend to ride all over your records for a while until you "break them in". In other words, the more you use them the better they work.
edit: I hear the whitelabels have taken the reign as "best sounding", but I haven't tried them.
JayBliss
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by JayBliss »

i found a discution on another forum about Shure vs. Ortofon

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120390
Sneaky
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Sneaky »

I used trackmasters for years till a friend lent me the ortofons.. now im hooked.
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

pre-amp tango wrote:i use audio technica at-95e - low volume, tracking is not too good, but they sound just great and warm.
used to have ortofon bananas but as said - they eat your records.
Did they have a spherical or a diamond tip.. Makes a big difference!